Any recommendations for a clean boost?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackieTHEjokeman

Reaction score
I've been reading a lot about overdrive pedals in front of your amp as a way to make the amp's potential come alive without high volumes. I've also heard to be wary of some pedals altering the tone too much. Is there a good "clean" booster pedal that does a **** good job without altering the tone too much? Any real life experiences? Thanks.

I suggest a Robert Keeley Katana boost or a Fulltone Fat Boost....Keeley also has one they call the Time Machine Boost, but I've never played one. I have heard awesome things about them, though.

RB

I'm pretty happy with my Carl martin Hydra Boost! Uses it in front of my Single Rectifier. It delivers a boost of +15db, and some people think thats not enough. I think it is :D
B.R. andershoeg

Am I looking at it all wrong? I have heard that a tube amp's "true potential" isn't reached unless it is cranked. I like to play at relatively low-volume levels, but want my amp pushed without going deaf. How would I accomplish that with these pedals? Thanks.

For true tube OD then yes, usually louder or a channel with higher gain and lower volume.

Put a pedal in front of your amp is gonna change the tone before it hits the preamp.

Or you could use a volume pedal and raise the volume and drive. It's like switching from a guitar with passive pups to hot pups.

What exactly do you want here?

For true clean boost there is nuttin' better than an EQ in the loop, IMO.

What exactly do you want here?

Uhh... I was just wondering why I have heard that to get the true sound of the amp, you have to "open it up" by cranking the volume. I want that "opened up" sound without having to crank the volume. As it is, I have my Stiletto at 50-watts, and SPONGY. It sound good at low volumes. I want to know if there's more that I can do. And yes, my EMG's really boost it well too.I want to push it at a low volume.

t0aj15 said:
Here's a great clean boost, and not expensive either:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/effectsdescr.shtml#booster

I'll second this!!

Real life expierence?? Yep, I use it with my Road King..... I originally got it to make my single coil guitars match my humbucker guitars output, but I now use it as almost a 2nd channel on each mode to add more "umph" to the setting I'm on, with both my single coil and humbucker pickups.

Latest posts

Back