any one running thru 2 amps at once?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndsquared

Reaction score
I got my IIC+ back,(awesome) and I'm thinking of running it like this :
guitar into an H2O chorus/delay...dry out into the Boogie, wet signal into the front of my Seymour Duncan Convertible.(both amps are 1x12 combos)I'd switch the channels on both simultaneously . The Duncan has reverb and I'd throw my Xpression in the loop...

In the past I always ran the boogie full dry then slaved into my fx then into the return of the duncan full wet. It's a sweet sound when you separate the FX like this, but I'm thinking it'd be nice to actually have two cleans and two dirty channels to work with in addition to the dry fx thing.

Any one running two amps? Any ground concerns I should have?

I remember those Seymour Duncan convertibles! Great amp. An idea way before its time, and still sounds better than most of the modelers out there! Weighs a ton, though, but so do the Boogies!

I've run two amps, using the Simul-Satellite with a Mark III or IV, but only using one preamp, so I guess this is different than what you are suggesting. I've used parallel channels on the Quad preamp to get two amps sounds in one. The two lead channels together on the Quad is HUGE!

Are you using them live, or for recording? Are you separating them spatially (ie. on stage, or in the stereo mix)?

You should not have ground concerns if you plug both amps into the same power strip. If you cannot do this, or still get a 60Hz hum, you can try lifting the ground pin of one amp by using one of those 3-to-2 prong adapters. Good luck!

I'm using them live...I finally got my rig down to 2 1x12 Combos...eventually I might add 2 1x12 cabs,but for now it's amazing how huge these 2 little amps sound together! 8)

The last Solo on Pink Floyd Money thru Headphones is a real surprise...you can hear two distinct amp sounds...one totally fuzzed out blowing up Hiwatt sounding distorted sound, and what sounds like a twin reverb with JBL's set to decapitate/razor sharp clean ...seperately awful, but together they make sonic history!

ndsquared said:
The last Solo on Pink Floyd Money thru Headphones is a real surprise...you can hear two distinct amp sounds...one totally fuzzed out blowing up Hiwatt sounding distorted sound, and what sounds like a twin reverb with JBL's set to decapitate/razor sharp clean ...seperately awful, but together they make sonic history!

Did that last Friday with the Electra-Dyne clean channel and the C+ in meltdown mode. Very interesting as the clean amp gives some "CUT" to the buttery smooth Mark series lead tone without losing those hellish harmonic overtones. 8)

MKV and REC. Totally massive sound. My equipment is way better than I am.

ND - I like that saying in your signature.....never let technique get in the way of a good solo.... :lol: :lol:

Did you pick that up jamming wth Satch? Ya lucky duck....

Heritage Softail said:
MKV and REC. Totally massive sound. My equipment is way better than I am.

ND - I like that saying in your signature.....never let technique get in the way of a good solo.... :lol: :lol:

Did you pick that up jamming wth Satch? Ya lucky duck....

Thanks! It hit me one day and I had my Son write it down (my hands were full at work) I have to rely on a Mantra like that because I'm a feel player...I can't sweep pick,don't know all the modes, but 40 years of trial and error has given me a way to share the stage with the guitar wizards..I try to play as few notes as I can but wiggle the crap out of 'em!

I don't play out anymore so I don't have to worry about moving amps. Because of this my rig has evolved quite a bit in the last few years. I use a Voodoo Labs Amp Selector which allows me to mix up to four amps at once. When using four at once it sounds absolutely HUGE. This unit also solves most (if not all) problems with hum/noise that arise when using multi amp rigs.
See the VLAS here: http://www.voodoolab.com/ampselector.htm

t0aj15 said:
I don't play out anymore so I don't have to worry about moving amps. Because of this my rig has evolved quite a bit in the last few years. I use a Voodoo Labs Amp Selector which allows me to mix up to four amps at once. When using four at once it sound absolutely HUGE. This unit also solves most (if not all) problems with hum/noise that arise when using multi amp rigs.
See the VLAS here: http://www.voodoolab.com/ampselector.htm

thanks I'll definitely check it out!

ndsquared! You actually answered my question. I ran a thread in the Effects section with basically the exact same question!

I think that would work very well. It would also save the need for an A/B switch.
I was kicking around the idea of replacing the button in my DC-10's footswitch and installing a jack in the back of the box so that I could use 1 button to change channels on both amps at the same time. If I use a DPDT or 3P3T switch, there should be no ground looping or other craziness.

Here is the way I was going to set it up:
Guitar
Wah
Tuner pedal
Maxon compressor
Homebrew boost pedal
MXR Stereo Chorus
DC-10 head w 4x12 & Tremoverb combo
Nova Delay in the loop of my DC-10, Tremoverb dry because the loop is nowhere near as sweet as the DC's!

As soon as I get the Chorus pedal in (just bought it on ebay) I will give it a try and let you know how it worked out.

Oh yeah, and how did you get to play with Satch? That's gotta be a life long dream for at least half of us! :D

Monsta-Tone said:
ndsquared! You actually answered my question. I ran a thread in the Effects section with basically the exact same question!

I think that would work very well. It would also save the need for an A/B switch.
I was kicking around the idea of replacing the button in my DC-10's footswitch and installing a jack in the back of the box so that I could use 1 button to change channels on both amps at the same time. If I use a DPDT or 3P3T switch, there should be no ground looping or other craziness.

Here is the way I was going to set it up:
Guitar
Wah
Tuner pedal
Maxon compressor
Homebrew boost pedal
MXR Stereo Chorus
DC-10 head w 4x12 & Tremoverb combo
Nova Delay in the loop of my DC-10, Tremoverb dry because the loop is nowhere near as sweet as the DC's!

As soon as I get the Chorus pedal in (just bought it on ebay) I will give it a try and let you know how it worked out.

Oh yeah, and how did you get to play with Satch? That's gotta be a life long dream for at least half of us! :D
Joe and his drummer Jeff are old friends of mine they were in a band called the squares I was in a Metropolis, we did quite a few shows together back in the day...I also painted the guitar on the G3 video (the one with Yngwie and Steve...Joe headlined a benefit for me at Slim's in SF ...that's where the pic is from.There's tons more on my FAcebook page,Nicholas DelDrago

Back