Any of you V owners also have a mini rec?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Mini Rec doesn't overlap any of the sounds you can get out of the V, between the Rectifier preamp and EL84 power section it has its own thing going on.

Cool, that's what I'm hoping for. Just looking for insight from V owners that will be helpful in getting my head around dialing in the mini rec.

Ive had a Mark V for a couple years now. I just picked the Rectoverb 25 Head with matching 1x12 slant Cab. I LOVE IT ! Very easy to dial in , plenty of power to play with a drummer, cuts through the mix great and has its own tone and feel. Plus its so much lighter and easier to move around. They say the mini and the Rectoverb 25 are the same except for the reverb. I have not played the mini but the ROV 25 is AWESOME !! I think the speaker and cab you choose to pair it with are critical. I tried the ROV combo and thought it was ok for a little combo. Then I tried the head through the 1x12 wide body front ported mesa cab and was not that impressed. I was ready to leave the store empty handed until the sales guy suggested trying the matching closed back cab. Played it for about 20 seconds and I was sold !

I have three cabs to play it through. Two oversized avatar premier vintage 2x12's. One with greenbacks and one with a v30/g12h30. I have one oversized avatar open backed 1x12 with a celestion gold. I play the V almost exclusively through the gold.

Ok, just fiddled a little bit with it through the two 2x12 cabs. Not really liking it so far. It sounds worst through the greenbacks. I'm struggling with the eq I guess. It' always too much of something. Gonna re-read the manual and tweak with that.

Its a recto (well kind of)
IMO best played through a closed back recto cab
although my ROV 25 Head sounds killer through a theile with EVM12l
Sounds great through my Recto 2x12 loaded with EVM12L's too but a little bit dark.
Also sounds killer through the matching recto 1x12 cab with v30 and a Peavy vertical closed back 2x12 loaded with v30s
Closed back with v30's or EV's should get you a killer tone I cant speak for any other kind of speaker
The tone stack is not like a Mark series. I get killer tone with everything at noon on my ROV 25
Try an eq pedal in the loop to dial in your tone it will make a huge difference

fr0sty said:
I have three cabs to play it through. Two oversized avatar premier vintage 2x12's. One with greenbacks and one with a v30/g12h30. I have one oversized avatar open backed 1x12 with a celestion gold. I play the V almost exclusively through the gold.

They really do sound best through the matching 1x12s. Through my Recto 2x12 and closed back/ported front 1x12s it doesn't sound as good, even though they all have V30s as well.

I agree with SteveO

Sounds best through the 1X12 Slant matching cab i got. It better..... **** thing cost $450 :D
I honestly would not have bought the amp if the sales guy didn't insist I try the matching cab.
using both my Theile EVM 1x12 with the matching cab IS AWESOME !!

Quick demo https://soundcloud.com/project-dome/mini-recto-low-gain Thread in the recto section at http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=68074

I sold my Mini rec after I got my 5:25+ and now that I got the Mark V, i regret selling it

but maybe i'll pickup a multi-watt Dual Rec instead :roll:

Latest posts

Back