Any Mesa Boogie Big Brother Owners Out There?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mines not a combo it's a Mark IV short head but I do run it through a 1-15" cab loaded with an Eminence Commonwealth speaker.

I've just never heard that term before - I've actually got an HRG hardwood '77 Mark I combo sitting right next to me :)

If it's possible, I think the 15" speaker suits the Mark series even better than an EVM12L - there's so much tonal flexibility! Particularly with the Mark I, which can sometimes sound a little harsh on a 12".

The range of the 15" is massive, I find the 12L to be so focussed anyway that putting it in a bigger format loosens it really nicely, and it still maintains a great top end and the bass isn't boomy at all.

I'd love a IIC+ 15" (pref. Coliseum spec) but I guess they're as rare as hen's teeth now. If anyone has one and wants to make some cash....

Just how rare are the 15-inchers though? Other than mine I've never seen another on eBay...

I have what I believe to be THE most beautiful Boogie I've ever seen.
It'd a Mark IIA with the 15-inch EVL speaker, all options, and the cabinet is made from ONE PLANK of beautiful flamed Koa.
Just gorgeous!
I know I know.. Pics!
I'm working on getting some worthy photos.

They are rare. The guy at the Boogie factory told me there were only 30 to 40 hardwood cabinet Mark IIas ever made (Big Brother 15-inch model).
I asked about Koa, and he said I may have one of 2 or 3 ever made.

I stumbled onto the beauty of a 15-inch speaker and a Boogie amp about 20+ years ago. A friend had a Mark IIB head hooked up to a JBL 15 cab, and a Les Paul was maginc through it.

I've owned several Boogies over the past 28 years, but there can be no doubt that the big 15 kicks serious *** on the smaller brother in the tone department IMHO. It's loud. But it's like butter...

:mrgreen:

Photos will be forthcoming!

n503424701_1649592_7124465.jpg

n503424701_1649593_4686685.jpg

Phone cameras really are just the worst - but there you go! Not sure if it's Imbuya or Bubinga, but I am sure it's mighty, mighty fine!

Wow, well that's a bugger, though I am surprised simply because I sent a similar photo to Boogie looking to get a matching 15" cabinet made and they said otherwise - it does sound plausible that it's been changed in the last 31 years...

I'll check into the S/N with Boogie and have a closer look at the cabinet. The guy I bought it from actually sold it because he wanted a tolex-covered one (he was in a Clash tribute band!). An interesting piece of information...and should be a fun evening of detective work! Not too bothered to be honest - it looks great and sounds great and that's all that matters to me! Bubble intact!

I still haven't taKen any good photos.
But here is a slightly out of focus and very dusty pic I do have of my flamed Koa M ark II1...

3373875127_cf6e08095c_o.jpg

Definitely NOT plywood.... 8)

Yeah I guess, it went via their UK distrib so who know who it actually went to :) I guess you have to be Kirk Hammett to get through to any of the 'big names' (Tien etc...)

Only need to get a IIC+ and I've got myself a Mark V! Sort of...

It'd be great to see a full frontal pic of that Koa MkII, Turbo. Have you played any other Mark II 12" amps to compare your 15" to? I really think my 15" Mark I trumps the 12 inchers in many respects.

As a fellow woodworker, I can say if that pictured amp is stained plywood, it must not be the same pine plywood crap I get at Home Depot. Rather, the top ply must be of some higher quality wood for it to look that good.

Now, my Mesa (along with all my other amps I have purchased since 1963) has only 12" speakers. I fully agree with those on this thread who have said that 15" speakers just sound better! Now, could somebody advise me where I can get a 15" speaker extension cab (with speaker) that will be appropriate for lead guitar, and not just for bass or PA duty? As I read this forum, I see many who are buying and selling amps looking for that "round, sustaining tone", while continuing to buy amps with 12" speakers. I seriously think (from experience) that the matter of speaker size is being missed here. My old 15" speaker amps are long gone, and obsolete in many respects, but the tone of those speakers is something I greatly miss. So if anybody knows where I could get a 15" speaker and cab suitable for lead guitar work, I would greatly appreciate the info.

Dolebludger said:
As a fellow woodworker, I can say if that pictured amp is stained plywood, it must not be the same pine plywood crap I get at Home Depot. Rather, the top ply must be of some higher quality wood for it to look that good.

Now, my Mesa (along with all my other amps I have purchased since 1963) has only 12" speakers. I fully agree with those on this thread who have said that 15" speakers just sound better! Now, could somebody advise me where I can get a 15" speaker extension cab (with speaker) that will be appropriate for lead guitar, and not just for bass or PA duty? As I read this forum, I see many who are buying and selling amps looking for that "round, sustaining tone", while continuing to buy amps with 12" speakers. I seriously think (from experience) that the matter of speaker size is being missed here. My old 15" speaker amps are long gone, and obsolete in many respects, but the tone of those speakers is something I greatly miss. So if anybody knows where I could get a 15" speaker and cab suitable for lead guitar work, I would greatly appreciate the info.

I've had similar problems...the only EVM15 that I've ever found have been second hand, and mostly out of 80's Boogie bass cabinets. They're a hardcore speaker, however I'm not sure I'd chance it. There are the 'Force' series (which I think are made by Electrovoice) which are very similar to the EVM15 I believe, really loud, massive magnet on the back (almost to the edge of the speaker, just like an EVM12L) and big handling capacity, so that might be worth looking for.

I know EV have reissued the EVM12L a couple of times (sort of) in the form of the 'Classic' and the 300W Zakk Wylde version, but I've never seen an 15".

My Mark I is an Electrovoice, but I think some of them used Altec speakers as well, maybe they've got a reissue out?

Yo,

I got my Mesa Boogie Mark IV combo right now, 15'' EV black shadow, 200 watt 8 ohm... though I'd like to buy a 4x12 cab or 1x12 thiele cab...
Here are 2 pictures, If anyone knows if this is plywood or real wood...? :p
Anyways: This is a giant killer, as mesa says itself :p

pict0503.jpg

pict0504.jpg

EDIT: Sorry for the large resolution, forgot to edit... :(

Back