Any comments on Altec Alnico 417-8 speeakers for MKIIA

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdandry

Reaction score
I have a MKII A that I'm thinking of putting a old Alnico Altec 417-8h in . Has anyone tried the Alnico versions of this speaker. I know Boogie offered the 417-8H Series II in the amps but any luck with the alnico version? I know they sound good in a Twin. What do you think?

jdandry said:
I have a MKII A that I'm thinking of putting a old Alnico Altec 417-8h in . Has anyone tried the Alnico versions of this speaker. I know Boogie offered the 417-8H Series II in the amps but any luck with the alnico version? I know they sound good in a Twin. What do you think?

the 417-8H Seriess II is also alnico.

I recommend these speakers before the EV 12L because they are a bit smoother and more fat sounding when pushed. It still has a great amount of detail but the high end is just sweet.

I think you will be happy with the altec

I prefer the EV12L to the 417-8H overall. I had a few of these and tried them in my Mk I's and Mk IIB's. I like the rounder sound of the EV for clean playing but the 417-8H was excellent for lead playing. Did the Santana thing perfectly. Just my opinion.

RR said:
MarkII and Altec's, nails the Santana Europa Era.

Has anybody tried an A/B switcher connected to a MkIIA set to the clean channel and to a MarkI set to the lead channel?
That could be almost Heaven.

Back