Any body like Schecter Guitars???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My buddy just bougt a C1 classic, with the 'vine of life' inlays. It looks incredible...and he says it plays great!

Ive got my dirty desires set on a Tempest, after I try out the Gibson firebirds.

David.

the schecter diaomond series is AWESOME for the price, any of them, even the omen 6.
what sucks about all of them tho is the electronics. rip them all out, pots
and all and replace with good quality pots, wire and especially the pickups.
duncan designed suck!!!
the necks and fretwork are all rock solid, as well as over all construction.
im sure schecter saves alot of money over all by cutting corners on
electronics. but other than that, theyre SWEET instruments for the dough.

I've heard pretty good things about the guitars. My brother had a C-1AE a while back, but he sold it. He said pretty much the same thing. Well made guitar, electronics suck.

there are a few schecter that come with USA Duncans or non-hz EMG's. And IMO the Duncan Designed are better than alot of the stock pickups you see in guitars you see in most guitars that are in the same price range.

I have the C1-Classic and love it. The Classic has the Duncan Jeff Beck in the bridge position and the Jazz in the neck position. I'd have to agree with the comments about the electronics though, but that would be my only negative comment. I replaced the "Mega-switch" on mine shortly after I bought it, because it was very loose and noisy. Schecter sent me the replacement part free of charge and the replacement effort took a couple minutes with a 40 watt iron.

Stewart McDonald sells a mega-switch that might be a better replacement than the factory, but I have to order one to be sure.

As for fit, finish, and playability....I'm very happy after some tweaking. Minor intonation action adjustments to get the guitar more to my liking, and a good coat of lemon oil on the fretboard to bring the "vine" back to life. Looks good (especially at the $570 I paid) and playes very nice too now. I think their guitars are good for the $$$.

replace the pots with gibson pots while youre at it. gibson pots have a really
nice taper to them, its not linear but it feels very natural, specially if
you use your volume to go to clean in a high gain amp.

I found an Avenger 6-string, set neck, black with fancy binding, and it plays like a 2K PRS. Cost me $225 used at Sam Ash. It's a keeper.

I just got my C-1 Exotic back from having new pickups put in. A SD Pearly Gates in the bridge and an Alnico-II Pro in the neck. I only got to play it about half an hour last night (my new Tele was also crying for attention) but those pups have so much more character than the stock ones did. I have a feeling I'm really gonna like this guitar now. 8)

Next step will be changing out the pots. The tone pot really sux.

I have 3 Schecters and they are all the rage that Ibanez was back in the late 80's.

I have the 1st Vampira series S-1 that I put a Seymour LiveWire Metal P/U in the bridge. If you haven't heard the LiveWires look into them. In the Neck I have a Dimarzio Evolution. They run circles around EMG's {you can also mix passive p/u's with them!!!!!! Unlike EMG.} plus they have an 18V pre amp that is just smokin!

Second is the Schecter C-1XXX It has the stripper inlays which are just sweet! I Put a Seymour Custom 5 in the Bridge and a Dimarzio Tone Zone in the neck!

Third is my C-1 FR (Floyd Rose) It has replaced my RG for live gigs! Again I have Seymour Custom 5 in the Bridge and a Seymour Parallel Axis Original for Neck. Smooth leads and a little less bass than the Tone Zone.

GOOD IDEA!!!! That's my only beef with Schecter is the electronics.

One of my axes is a schecter, it's a C7 hellraiser 7 string with EMG 707's. I love it.

I have an 01' C-1+ with the dark cherry finish. It's a beautiful guitar, I love how it's not a bolt on neck and it's a string through, but I SO TOTALLY agree about the electronics!!! My pickup toggle can get kind of testy when I'm switching to the bridge pickup, it almost cuts out entirely.
I'll bet the SD Pearly Gates sounds cool in the bridge, I have one of those in my Lone Star Strat!

http://fallenlive.com/Gallery/Birdys020306/100_0590

So, would it be worth it to replace the p/ups with EMG's??

Guitarzan said:
I have 3 Schecters and they are all the rage that Ibanez was back in the late 80's.

I have the 1st Vampira series S-1 that I put a Seymour LiveWire Metal P/U in the bridge. If you haven't heard the LiveWires look into them. In the Neck I have a Dimarzio Evolution. They run circles around EMG's {you can also mix passive p/u's with them!!!!!! Unlike EMG.} plus they have an 18V pre amp that is just smokin!

Ive seen the EMG/passive in the bridge multiple times.

As far as quality goes, though they are owned by ESP, I will say they are at least on par, if not better in the price range - My bassist has an LTD f series, and a schecter diamond bass - the schecter is better, not by much, but better.

vulture2600 said:

Or, if you want full quality instead of paying for a brandname markup, go with CTS.

The ESP owning Schecter rumour has been going around for ahwile. On their official site they have a faq section and it claims they are not owned by ESP.

Anyway I own a custom shop black Avenger. It has pearloid block inlay, a Duncan Custom in the bridge and a '59 in the neck. Gotoh tunamatic bridge, along with Sperzel locking tuners. It is one of the best playing guitars I've used.

Purchased for ~$300 last year. Korean made stock looking tele. Played with a few options in the electronics ... replaced the pickups with Seymour Duncan vintage stacks ... mini-switch to go back and forth from hum-bucking to single coil via splitting both pickups. Replaced the internal electronics too. I love this guitar! I wouldn't trade it for a top of the line telecaster even ... which really surprises me. You can still get these in the $300-$350 range and although I like it better now with my changes. It was still pretty awesome stock.

I play it through a 77 Boogie amp head and a 30 year old EVM 12" - super. My main guitar is a 76 Yamaha SA 2000 semi-hollow body. I've had many guitars - Les Pauls, Stats, but I love this one the best.

But that Schecter Tele is a fun axe ... for those single coil moments. :D

Latest posts

Back