Any body dig the ENGL amplification?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Newer ENGLs are high gain monsters, no doubt! They're totally different from a recto in my opinion, their tone is really tight and their distortion is smooth and very saturated, while rectos have got more "growl" and are somehow nastier (other than having a looser tone).
If you want to compare Engls to Mesas, you should refer more to the Mark series ihmo.

Well, I tried only few of them, so I'm not the right person to give you a really good advice/suggestion... but I think Savage and Special Edition are two great amps in the ENGL line. In my opinion older ENGL amps lack a lot of warmness and tone in the clean channel, newer amps are way better.

If I didn't go with Mesa it would have definitely been ENGL. Nice amps for sure.

Ciao ...

Storm said:
If I didn't go with Mesa it would have definitely been ENGL. Nice amps for sure.

Ciao ...

+1

ytse_jam said:
I would like to know instead how good are ENGL poweramps...

+1 I was thinking of getting a quad pre,I'm trying figure out a power amp to go with. I could always go with Mesa but ENGL crossed my mind.

:D

MetalMatt said:
I was thinking of getting a quad pre,I'm trying figure out a power amp to go with. I could always go with Mesa but ENGL crossed my mind.
Take a look also at VHT poweramps, many say they're really special.

I played an Engl powerball for 2 years. When I bought it I tried a dual rec and was looking for a less common sound. It's a nice and versitile amp - the clean channel is great - very useable. But in the end - the high gain channels are pretty good, but they're not top notch if you ask me. Not in comparison to mesa - and I use the high gain channels more than anything so eventually I got a triple rec.
Then again, if you're looking for a sound that isn't mesa, or marshall or something obvious - definitely try a powerball!

Machine Gun said:
Nitro's got his Savage 120 up for sale in the classifieds.
I thought he was happy with the Savage? What's he looking at now?

Ciao ...

Hmmm, well whatever he gets I hope he posts up some clips. He's a **** good player!

Ciao ...

+1000 on the Blackmore....such an easy to dial in, great sounding amp.

I traded my BM in on an ENGL SE...now I'm selling the SE and going back to a Blackmore :D

Well I haven't actually played one yet, but I've heard them live and they sound great. Warren Haynes used one but I'm not sure of the model when I saw Gov't Mule and the Allman Brothers, well Brother (RIP Duane) and Tim Roth from Into Eternity I think used a Savage 120. They both sounded great though. I have to try one of them out.

ENGL Amps were used on the last Necrophagist album, check them out here. Click on 'download' on the menu and listen to the tracks from Epitaph. A very fast tracking amp indeed. Make sure you wait for the leads!

Latest posts

Back