Another Voodoo mod question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jak0lantern01

Reaction score
Anyone know what they're doing to mod these amps? Just curious. It all sounds so tempting, but I'm not too sure about the expense involved.

They post a FAQ on their site that speaks generally to the changes they make: http://www.voodooamps.com/faqs.html#

I'd just call them and ask about specifics. They are good guys and will answer your questions.

As far as cost its not cheap but the results were very good for me. I've read reviews questioning why anyone would mod any Mesa. Frankly I wasn't happy with what I was getting out of the amp and was going to sell it to buy a boutique amp for 3x as much. By modding it I got the boutique tone I wanted in a high gain combo. Now the amp is perfect for my needs at half - 2/3 the cost of the boutique amps I was looking at.

Juancito12 said:
They post a FAQ on their site that speaks generally to the changes they make: http://www.voodooamps.com/faqs.html#

I'd just call them and ask about specifics. They are good guys and will answer your questions.

As far as cost its not cheap but the results were very good for me. I've read reviews questioning why anyone would mod any Mesa. Frankly I wasn't happy with what I was getting out of the amp and was going to sell it to buy a boutique amp for 3x as much. By modding it I got the boutique tone I wanted in a high gain combo. Now the amp is perfect for my needs at half - 2/3 the cost of the boutique amps I was looking at.

Juancito:

Did they mod the ROV for you? If so, could you tell me which mod(s) they did and what effect it had?

I have a ROV, and was discussing mod options with Trace just this morning. Luckily for me, I live about 10 minutes from their shop! :D

Thanks.

Frank

Hey dodger916, I doesn't hurt that Voodoo is just down the street from you either. I just had my JMP50 doneby them, they do nice work.

Yeah! They're modding my s-s-s Strat, adding push/pull tone pots to run two single coil pups in series. Very friendly and helpful people. I never feel rushed when I'm talking to them.

I see you live in Ra-cha-cha. I recently bought my ROV at the GC there. Also demo'd a Mark IV at the House of Guitars...convinced me I couldn't live without one :D

Frank

Trace modified my ROV2 early last year--transformer, too. Great work, cool guys, and you get to hang out and watch if you want! The ROV has traveled thousands of miles and has hundred of hours on it; it's been reliable as a stone. I play it through a 2x12 Recto cabinet, and put everything on top of a 1960 B when I need more speaker area.

Hi Dodger... sorry to respond late. Was at the Dodgers/Cubs game at Wrigley yesterday and couldn't get to a PC all day.

Voodoo performed their deluxe mod on my amp with the Mercury Mag OT. I have to say the effect to me was pretty dramatic. The description and features of the mod on their website (increased gain/sustain, faster attack ect) accurately describes the impact but I'll add my 2 cents for you.

My inputs: Gibson Les Paul with P-90s, Fender Tele Reissue. I have other amps that I use pedals and a cab with clone P12Ns but right now I'm just playing straight into the combo dry.

The most dramatic change is how good it sounds at lower volumes. Like they say "cranked tones at lower volumes." I put away my attenuator. All I have to find now is the right combo of gain, output, and master volume for each volume level to dial in the tone I want.

My favorite change is how the mod opens up the EQ. I can use more extreme gain, high, mid, low settings and they are more independent of one another and usable. Its easier to find good settings now at various gain and output/master settings. That was probably my #2 complaint about the stock recto.

My main complaint in the stock amp was the buzzy distortion it produced. I tried various tube combos, pedals, and settings to get the sound I wanted but no luck. What I got back was distortion that sounds a whole lot better. I can't really compare it to other amp brands... it still sounds like a recto but more musical in my opinion. Although the clips on their site are done with a dual recto and different speakers/guitar, my modded combo has a similar distortion character. I meets my needs perfectly.

My amp now really responds to pick dynamics and my playing style in all modes (modern, vintage, clean ect). Frankly there are so many variables now its like I have another instrument play with. That change is really cool. Plus you can hear all the notes in a chord even with the distortion way up. The stock amp hid all that when driven.

That said the mod does force me to play better. No more lazy passes across the fretboard or lazy barre chord fingerings. I hear more of my mistakes.

To sum up I think it still sounds like a recto but with many improvements that sound great to my ear. Its probably not for everyone but it definately met my needs. I wasn't happy with the stock amp and wasn't 100% thrilled with the more expensive combos I considered trading up too. I wanted a modern high gain combo to offset my 60's amps. I still use my Maggie for cleans and reverb but I'm considering switching to the modded recto for cleans or splitting them into stereo. So many options.

After the Voodoo mod, the change in how the amp responds to playing full chords is dramatic. Individual notes are more distinct, even with maximum overdrive. I agree with Juancito--it does sound great at any volume level. i find it is much more responsive to the guitar's volume controls, too.

The distortion has character that now cuts through our band's onstage mix with relative ease.

I'm happy with the change in the distortion, but it's the difference in the clean sounds that push the Voodoo mod over the top for me. Trace credits the Mercury Mag swap with the increase in available overhead and "sparkle" of the sound.

Hi Guys;

Thank you very much for kind words and the support! It means a lot to every one of us here at Voodoo Amps (sincerely). Not only do we have a passion for what we do but we are also obsessed with tone just as much as you are (fans of tone).

We have truly enjoy working with each of you and it's been our pleasure to help meet your needs. If there is anything we can do to better serve you please let us know. In an on going effort to offer you the best services and products we can please let us know how we can better meet your needs.

It's a pleasure to be here with all of you!
Trace

I'm liking the sound of this mod more and more, I just have to be able to get the amp there (combo is expensive to ship, and it's a drive from L.I.). My only question is this: what if the amp needs to be serviced after this mod is completed? Will there be complications because of the mod and/or will it have to be sent back to Voodoo to perform the repairs?

You woldnt send it to mesa, however any normal tech should be able to track down a problem in an amp and fix it. You would just have to inform them it has been modded so they dont go by factory schematic.

Personaly I would just send it back to voodoo if anything ever happened to it.

Jak0lantern01 said:
I'm liking the sound of this mod more and more, I just have to be able to get the amp there (combo is expensive to ship, and it's a drive from L.I.). My only question is this: what if the amp needs to be serviced after this mod is completed? Will there be complications because of the mod and/or will it have to be sent back to Voodoo to perform the repairs?

All of our Modifications are 100% fully serviceable. You are welcome to send to us for servicing or take the amp to a local repair-tech. Any reputable repair-tech should have no problems servicing a Voodoo Modified amplifier. If you have any questions what so ever please feel free to let us know.

Thanks so much
Trace

Trace, you spending to much time on the mesa board now that you are neglecting your own board LOL. I posted a question for you in the modded section last night, but still havent seen a response.

voodooamps said:

All of our Modifications are 100% fully serviceable. You are welcome to send to us for servicing or take the amp to a local repair-tech. Any reputable repair-tech should have no problems servicing a Voodoo Modified amplifier. If you have any questions what so ever please feel free to let us know.

Thanks so much
Trace

I told my wife we may have to go on a road trip for this one. I'm thinking of going Voodoo before buying another amp. Anyone ever ship a recto combo? It has to be expensive.

Jak0lantern01 said:
I told my wife we may have to go on a road trip for this one. I'm thinking of going Voodoo before buying another amp. Anyone ever ship a recto combo? It has to be expensive.

Jak0: Take a ride upstate and visit the Finger Lakes! Ithaca is only 3.5 hours from NYC (GW Bridge to Route 80 to Route 81). Perfect time of year to spend some quality time with your woman - leaf-peeping, apple picking, and Voodoo Amps...we got it all!!

Trace & crew and top notch people to deal with, and I often walk away having my expectations exceeded. And no, I have no affiliation with them!

Frank

Trace, you spending to much time on the mesa board now that you are neglecting your own board LOL. I posted a question for you in the modded section last night, but still havent seen a response.

If I’m checking emails and notice there is a reply it I will try to respond (in-between amps, phone calls, etc--ha, ha). I will hop over to our board so I can respond to your post.

Many thanks!
Trace

ak0: Take a ride upstate and visit the Finger Lakes! Ithaca is only 3.5 hours from NYC (GW Bridge to Route 80 to Route 81). Perfect time of year to spend some quality time with your woman - leaf-peeping, apple picking, and Voodoo Amps...we got it all!!

It is a beautiful time of year and the leaves with be changing any day now (it's somewhat begun). There are lots of wineries, water falls, parks, Rumble Seat Music (vintage dealer) and everything else you have mentioned!

Trace & crew and top notch people to deal with, and I often walk away having my expectations exceeded. And no, I have no affiliation with them!

Thank you for the kind words Frank. We always strive to give each of our customers what they are looking for. Our goal is to not only meet your expectations but to help you exceed them.

Looking forward to seeing you soon!
Trace

Back