Another request for cab/speaker suggestions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurens

Reaction score
This kind of topic is beat to death on a regular basis, but I'l give it a shot anyway. Currently I run my Mark V through a Marshall 1960 AV 4x12 cab. The stock speakers have been replaced by celestion G12K-100. I didn't like the V30 in that cab very much (harsh high end), but I must admit that it was with other amps. The sounds I'm getting now are quite good IMO, but it still makes me wonder if I can improve it. I'm into thrash metal and looking for a tight low end, clarity, definition and no ear piercing highs (really hate that, but who doesn't). The G12K-100 are good speakers for this IMHO. Perhaps I shouldn't change anything (you could also say: if it ain't broke don't fix it), but I do want to know if the Marshall cab itself has a large impact on the sound (positive or negative). Do you have any suggestions in this respect (speakers/cabs)? Are Mesa cabs a better match for the Mark V, or other brands (Bogner, Vader, etc.)?

ps I do realise "better" is pretty subjective. Any opinions are welcome though.

I have other cabinets like Orange PPC412HP8 with K100s and Marshall 1960B X pattern T75/V30,
but I only love my Mark V with either Mesa/Boogie Stiletto or Rectifier OS cabinet.
I'm a V30 man anyway. :mrgreen:

Maybe some of the "front-loaded" cabinets like VHT/Fryette Fat-Bottom, Diezel FL K100/V30 cabinet and etc,
will suit for your taste since they are usually tighter, more percussive and more "in your face" sounding.

Thx man. I ended up with a 4x12 Rectifier standard (which is the relabeled OS, I believe). Actually, it was not possible to A/B it with the Stiletto (Traditional) cab. They just don't have them on stock over here. Sure, you can order via internet but I wanted to trade in my Marshall. So I took a gamble and went for the Rectifier cab. This is certainly an improvement in sound/quality. It sounds huge, louder and projects way better IMHO. I can understand why people say it is a bit looser on the low end. It has a sort of agressive growl (for lack of better description). I don't run my Mark V with a lot of bass so it stays tight enough for me, yet it has a thick and massive sound. Great combination.

Somehow I couldn't get the same result with my Mark III. Sounded very loose. Perhaps the Mark III is more suited for the Black Shadow C90 or EVML. Oh well, my Mark III is a combo so I'm still good there or I'll need to tweak it more.

Back