Another Noob Question?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
As the proud owner of a Blue Angel 1;12 combo that has now been gigged 3 times. With fantastic results. (What an amp!) Whew, is all I can say. When this thing is cranked in a club it is unbelievable!

But........

Why is it a "Dual Rectifier"?

I only see 1 GZ34?

Is there a ss backup in case the tube bombs? Does it use tube and ss, (say no please).

What's the deal.

Thanks in advance.

Murph.

Man, since buying this amp, this board has been a plethora of information.

Yuk, yuk......

Best of luck.

Murph.

Well the idea of a Dual Rec is that it has two modes of rectification. The manual on .pdf doesn't even mention any rectifier tubes at all though. It doesn't show a tube/diode rectifier switch either.

The manual doesn't say anything about the order of the pre amp tubes, and I wrote Mesa (see other thread) and they don't have a tube chart.

? I find this very weird?

And I have no idea why this amp has "Dual Rectifier" screened on the faceplate, (since it only has 1;GZ34) and am kind of curious NOW about Mesa's ability to help me if I have a problem with this amp.

Don't get me wrong, I'm gigging it and love it, but the lack of information is stunning. I thought this was a major amp builder in the United States with a huge network and fan base. With the very simple and basic questions asked so far, I've been able to get absolutley NO answers, even from Mesa, I may have to re-consider my purchase. I love the amp, but.....

I gig the amp every weekend, and if I have a problem, I need answers NOW......

Thanks.

Murph.

The best thing I can tell you right now is to do a search for dual rectifier (or something narrower; perhaps AC & DC voltage) in the forum and see if something comes up explaining everything. Usually people post a lot here, but your amp is a little less popular so perhaps nobody really knows much about it...? There are posts I've read where the term dual rectifier is explained, but I don't remember the answer.

There is info out there if you search for it. There's lots of articles and things on the Mesa boogie website if you look around.

The rectification thing has something to do with the conversion of AC voltage to DC voltage...and I think back again to AC. Don't quote me on that.

Single Rectifier = one diode
Dual Rectifier = both a tube and diode rectifier that is switchable
Triple Rectifier = same as above, just keeping with the naming scheme

A lot of people think it is because the triples has 3 rectifier tubes and the duals have 2 but that's not true.

I believe your BA should have both options but I've never seen a back panel and it's been forever since I played one.

A lot of people think it is because the triples has 3 rectifier tubes and the duals have 2 but that's not true.

I believe that is incorrect sir, Triple Rectifier DOES signify 3 rectifier tubes to convert power for each pair of power tubes. Likewise the Dual Rec tubes that convert the power of 2 pairs of power tubes.
It converts incoming voltage to supply wattage to power tubes via the OT. I know you know these things but yeah..it's kind of tricky...TR not meaning 3 different ways to rectify but 3 R tubes.

I remember roadtesting the Blue Angel years ago and its run did not last long, for whatever reason it didn't catch on like the SR, DR, TR, TOV, ROV... lost in the mix I suppose.

If you love the tone, keep it, crank it up, gig it and keep searching out more info...you're bound to run into Blue Angel players and that's part of the fun 8)

Well it's improper nomenclature and a marketing thing regardless, dual rectifier meant that you had two choices in rectification.. the triple happens to have three tubes but does not mean there are 3 choices for rectification.

at least that's how it was explained to me years ago, you might be right.

Platypus said:
Well it's improper nomenclature and a marketing thing regardless, dual rectifier meant that you had two choices in rectification.. the triple happens to have three tubes but does not mean there are 3 choices for rectification.

Yeah man, I totally agree. I guess their logo would have to have been Dual Rectifier Solo 150....proper nomenclature ? :lol:

ThunderMonkey said:
:?: :?: :?:

Does anyone know when Mesa debuted the Triple Rec exactly ????

I see phone calls to Mesa happening tomorrow. 8)
im going to bet 93

Latest posts

Back