another new MkIII owner with ???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoangus

Reaction score
After some guidance with my first post on this great board, quick reading at Harmony Central, and a chance to own a great looking amp from back in the day, I’ve picked up a Mk III simulclass, blue stripe. Back in the late 80’s, when I was playing pretty regularly, I remember this amp as being pretty **** hot. At the time, I was running an all tube Dean Markley combo that was a pretty nice amp, but it screamed Boogie wannabe. This is my first Mesa, and I’ve got some questions that I hoped this board could help me out with:

1) Is there some on-line resource that provides some type of chronological history of Mesa’s product line? I’m kind of curious just where this amp fit in their lineup back in the late 80’s, and how long it was in production. The Mesa site has some info, but there are gaps (unless I’m missing a link somewhere). There was an informative thread here about the different mods performed on the Mk III (Red, Purple, Blue, etc), but to a newbie like me, who’s also not an equipment junkie, I’d still like to know more, ie what was a IIc and would it be worthwhile to mod my amp?
2) When did Mesa recommend running EL34’s in the outer sockets? This amp has all 6L6’s, so I’ll be swapping those out I guess. Was it a recommendation made purely for enhancing tube life, or did it open up its tonal palette as well? I assume the EL34's help for the Marshallesque tones
3) Is the effects loop parallel or serial? I need a Mk III effects loop for dummies tuturoial. The only thing I can get out of the manual is that I shouldn’t use cheap effects in the loop. Would a TC Elec G-Major fit up well with this? What’s the best way to control send/return?
4) Now I’m not a shredder, and my playing style never fit metal (this was one of my reasons for going with an amp from my generation). But if I want a little more crunch, is there a pedal that meshes well with the Mk III, or do I just need to spend a little more time learning the controls to find that thump?

I’m sure I’ll come up with some more questions, and now that I’ve found this awesome site, I’ll know where to ask them. Hopefully I won’t annoy.

Thanks

1. http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/welcome.html

2. In the early years of the Mark III they said you could use 6L6's or EL34's. Then later they recommended only using EL34's in the outer sockets for tube life reasons.

3. The effects loop is serial. The TC-Gmajor would be an excellent choice.

4. Work with the amp for a little while first. You can also try getting a Thiele cabinet for some thump.

Chris... 8)

+1
I will say that a parallel loop would have a mix knob, a serial knob sends all the signal through it....
I run EL34's in the class A or outer sockets only because I like the way it sounds for leads. Also, in class A is more Marshall-esque.
But, I purchased my amp when it was 10 years old, and it had the original 415's in it, all 6L6. I know this amp was played well, and gigged, and the tubes are still fine, and sound clean...I recently pulled the str442 EL34's out of my outer sockets, as they seemed somewhat muddy, and they look toasted......I play pretty loud, especially in class A, so, it's understood.
Anyway, if you like the sound od 4 6L6's, don't worry too much...
BTW, the 415's are back in and sounding sweet, until I get another duet of EL34's to go with the STR454's... Or maybe I'll just get a duet of 454's..
Who knows... I probably wont know for sure till I get there...
These blue stripers are sweet, use 'em as you like. These ol' Boogs are tuff.
ax. 8)

I found that the Carl Martin Hot Drive N Boost works real well in front of my Red Stripe MkIII. It has a good muscular tone.

HDB.jpg

chedgeco said:
3. The effects loop is serial. The TC-Gmajor would be an excellent choice.

Chris... 8)

Chris,

The manual states that Volume 1 controls effects send level for the rhythm modes, and Lead Master controls it for the lead channel. Does this mean that I need to adjust the TC-Major's input level depending upon what levels I set the amp (low level practicing at home vs. higher volume band levels)?

Thanks,

geo

If you are going to be adjusting the Volume 1 and Lead Master then yes you will have to adjust the TC input level.

What I normally do is leave Vol 1 and the Lead Master alone and adjust my "room" level with the overall Master.

Another cool trick is to insert a volume pedal into the controller input of the TC and assign the "global output level" to this control (check the TC manual for how to do this). Now you have a Master volume that is controlled by the volume pedal.

Chris... 8)

and this one's pretty dumb, but since I don't know the answer, I'll never learn if I don't ask. When the Mk was shipped to me, the tubes were pulled. I put them back in easy enough, but the black retaining rings, should I have gently bent those inwards so that they actually retain the tube? Right now, they're bent away, so that all they're doing is looking for a tube to hold. Assuming I should bend them in, do I do that before I install the tube, so that its "grabbing" the tube's base as its being inserted?

Thanks

Yes, you should bend the tube retainer springs in slightly before you install the tubes. They will then grap the base of the tube when you put it in.

Latest posts

Back