Another new 5:25 owner chiming in.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donnie B.

Reaction score
My first Boogie was a 1 x 12 Studio 22 combo back in 1982 or so. The last time I gigged out back in 1996 I was using a DC5 head with a 4 x 12 cab. Since moving out to SoCal in 1997 I only play at home in a townhouse so I have volume issues with neighbors and when my wife is home. I've been through a boatload of different amps trying to find the best low volume, full featured amp. For the past 3 years or so I've been using a Fuchs ODS30 1 x 12 combo. All was bliss until I recently flew back east and got to play with some old bandmates using someones Dual Rectifier half stack. Whoa. I'd forgotten how much I dug the Boogie overdriven tones. All of a sudden the Fuchs wasn't cutting it anymore. Great amp but it simply can not do the high gain stuff like the Rectifier does.

Read up on the 5:25 and picked one up off of Ebay. It's the single 10" model. I've had it now for 2 weeks and have probably played it for about 15-20 total.

WOW! Let me say that again.... WOW!!!!

I absolutely LOVE this little guy. I use it exclusively in 5 watt mode and have played around a lot in all 4 modes. This thing is a tone monster. From incredible cleans to killer overdrive and just about everything in between. In the burn channel with just a little contour added I can pretty much 100% ape the Dual Rectifier tones I was getting back east.

I am going to try putting in a Scumback SA10M-75 speaker to see if things can get even better (I'm thinking they will).

Anyways, it's great to be back in the Mesa Boogie camp again! I already can't wait to get home and plug in.

Welcome back Donnie!
Glad you found an amp that makes you happy. Even better, it's a Mesa.

I have commented, in other posts, that whenever I set out to buy another amp, it seems that I almost always circle back to one of the Boogie models.

They are tough to beat for anywhere near their asking prices....and if you do find something that could be argued as "better", then prepare to pay "through the nose" for it! Perhaps the Fuchs amps fit in this category(?). (BTW, what is the proper pronunciation of Fuchs?...too much room for jokes, here.... :lol: :lol: ).
I also have a "22"....but the 22+ model, circa 1989. I did not know they offered the 22 as far back as '82...learn somethin' new everyday! :)

Hope you have fun with the express! :D

Old BF Shred said:
(BTW, what is the proper pronunciation of Fuchs?...too much room for jokes, here.... :lol: :lol: ).
I also have a "22"....but the 22+ model, circa 1989. I did not know they offered the 22 as far back as '82...learn somethin' new everyday! :)

99.9% certain it's FUKES like in DUKES of hazzard.

See I always heard the correct pronunciation rhymes with cukes (like cucumber). Anywho. Congrats on the sweet *** new amp. Well, technically used but new for you nonetheless. P.S. That other forum member was right. I am absolutely dying waiting for the **** thing and it's only been since Saturday that I ordered it.

EtherealWidow said:
See I always heard the correct pronunciation rhymes with cukes (like cucumber). Anywho. Congrats on the sweet *** new amp. Well, technically used but new for you nonetheless. P.S. That other forum member was right. I am absolutely dying waiting for the **** thing and it's only been since Saturday that I ordered it.

It actually is PUKES but I typed the reply while I was eating lunch and...................

You have a 9 week wait right? Phffftttt...... I waited 1.5 years on a Thorn! And then ended up selling it!!!

Well pfffft right back at you! I've been waiting 2 years to record this god **** black metal album! My amp got stolen in March! Acoustic black metal SUCKS! I'm fucking dying over here!

If you actually look up "Ethereal Widow" on myspace and go to the song "Circles in Eternity" I do have a small demo of acoustic black metal. ;D

EtherealWidow said:
P.S. That other forum member was right. I am absolutely dying waiting for the **** thing and it's only been since Saturday that I ordered it.

Sorry, I think that was me :D If anything is worth waiting for it would have to be an Express.

I can't wait to get home and plug in, it just makes me want to play...

Back