Another Eurotubes / JJ's / LSS Success Story!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SabuJSE

Reaction score
Add me to the ever-growing list of happy JJ tube owners.

Based on all the glowing reviews I've seen here, I finally contacted Jay at Eurotubes and through emails he explained to me exactly what I needed to retube my Lonestar Special. Lots of detail but explained in such a way where I could understand - Jay is the man. I decided to go with the "standard" JJ's as opposed to the ones rated for higher gain as that isn't what I was looking for.

Anyway, I ordered them on Friday after a back and forth email discussion on Thursday, and they arrived on Monday (much to my surprise as they are located in OR and I am on the East Coast). He even labeled the Phase Inverter tube for me so I wouldn't confuse it with the others.

Popped out the stock Mesa tubes that came with my LSS, seated the 5 new ECC 83 S's and the 4 EL 84's, fired up the amp, and I was stunned. Channel 1 cleans were even more vibrant than before while retaining a wonderfully sweet tone. The change in Channel 2 was even more drastic as the overdrive was smoother while being stronger. The mud is all gone and there is a clarity of overall tone now in the distortion that was not there before.

You guys all knew that from the other posts - but what I haven't seen mentioned is that since these new tubes have zero mud, I am now able to change my settings back to what I want them at the amp since I do not have to compenstae for muddy mids and bass tones anymore. I no longer have to boost the Treble and Presence to levels I don't really want, and I could add in some more mids and bass.

The end result? A humbucker based guitar now has some serious clarity while retaining the sweeteness and chime of channel one and I get a clarity in channel two I didn't have before with a boost in overdrive/distorion and sustain.

Bottom line, if you are on the fence, do it. Now.

Congratulations! I heartily agree with you on all points. The JJ's make a HUGE difference for the better in this amp. They do clean up the mud. I just keep my original Mesa tubes as backups.

I dont get it, ive tubed 2 amps with jj's from eurotubes and meh..sure it was a better sound but im sure its partly due to having fresh tubes...i guess some tubes sound better with some amplifiers.

It's most likely nothing to do with fresh tubes. I bought a set of 8 brand new Mesa 6L6 and a set of JJ 6L6 to throw in my 2:100...the JJ's were better out of the box.

It bears emphasisng that I did not order the high-gain version of the tubes - just the normal version.

I have heard people complain that the extra gain version are a bit muddy.

SabuJSE said:
It bears emphasisng that I did not order the high-gain version of the tubes - just the normal version.

I have heard people complain that the extra gain version are a bit muddy.

That's interesting...I hear complaints that the regular ones are too dark ("blanket over the speakers"). I'm on my 2nd set of hi-gainers and no problems at all with muddy sound, in a Recto no less!

Tone is such a subjective thing. I'm happy with the lo-gain, you're happy with the hi-gain.

I'm willing to just be happy with that :D

SabuJSE said:
Tone is such a subjective thing. I'm happy with the lo-gain, you're happy with the hi-gain.

I'm willing to just be happy with that :D

+10000000, but now curiosity overwhelms me....maybe I should try the lo-gains next retube. I guess it cant hurt anything, and I still have the hi-gains if I dont like 'em. Tried one in the V1 spot and wasnt really impressed, but I dont have enough of them to fill the whole preamp.

What are we talking, like 80-100 bucks to find out?

I'd do it - but it's not my money at the moment :D

I have a hi gain set in my LSS, with the exception on NOS 5751s in V1 and V2. I also run a 12AT7 in the reverb driver. The JJ are the best new tubes that I have tried.

I am pretty curious about the new mullard reissues though.

Just ordered a standard gain set of JJs on the strength of this post - will report back when they're in.

Since some of you guys don't make it to the tubes forum, I wanted to chime in to say I really liked the ECC83S high gain in my DR. I put one in V1 for now and it's really taken some of the harshness/choppy bite out of the 3rd channel that I didn't care for when running the presence above noon. It wasn't a drastic change but it was a pleasent upgrade.

Latest posts

Back