Andy Timmons

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Huh?

If we are talking about his tone, I think its amazing. But it's not a Mark V. His Lonestar edge of breakup is unreal. I remember thinking that it must be difficult to manipulate the BB Preamp and the Lonestar gain to make it that perfect, but I reality (after watching his YouTube vids) he just sort of sets it and forgets it.

His tone is obviously in his hands.

I'm talking about tone wise, I have the BB and I figured if I messed around with CH.1 I could get a similar vibe. But I didn't know if anyone had something already.

He's got a few different tones, so it depends how much gain you want. I'd say ch.1 tweed with the gain cranked and a bb preamp outfront works well. I think i've found something close in crunch mode half gain as well.

You don't need a lone star / stiletto to get close, the Mark V can certainly do it.. and fairly easily.

Scary said:
He's got a few different tones, so it depends how much gain you want. I'd say ch.1 tweed with the gain cranked and a bb preamp outfront works well. I think i've found something close in crunch mode half gain as well.

You don't need a lone star / stiletto to get close, the Mark V can certainly do it.. and fairly easily.

+1

Has anyone found a tone similar to "deliver us" yet? It's been a couple of years :)

His tone is definitely in his hands. I attended one of his Mesa clinics a while back and I was floored at how clean and precise his technique was. His performance was absolutely perfect as was his tone. It's definitely mostly in his hands, but yea you should be able to get close in CH1 and CH2 with a BB preamp.

I remember reading that Timmons used mostly plexi Marshalls/tape echo on "Resolution"...and he also stated he used a VHT Pitbull combo for "Electric Gypsy"...(killer)
but the live Boogie setup nails that tone,too-always interesting to see what is used in studio
...speaking of tape echo, the el Capistan pedal has my interest 8)

I just attended one of his clinics. He went through his signal chain. Kinda funny... For dirt he used pedals into the clean channel of his lonestar. For his clean he used his stiletto trident crunch channel with the volume on his guitar rolled back. He was running a very wet signal, two delays plus some tape something or other, the last one has been driving me nuts trying to remember what it was.

Andy is a phenominal player. Killer tone toboot.

This is pretty much what he's still using.

He explains it all right here.

The Andy Timmons Young Guitar DVD..

http://youtu.be/ampghKOll_s (Starts at about 0:50)

I know these questions get annoying, so apologies first.

How different is the MV clean vs the lonestar? I have a MV, and wonder if i can put a pedal infront of one of the clean settings for the smooth distortion that AT gets. I have tried a maxon 808, but that doesnt seem to do anything.

I dont really mess with clean settings, so any thoughts or info is helpful.

BBP-AT is nice.

Has a real natural or organic gain to it.

Not fuzzy or digital sounding.

Warm and smooth.

Not heavy at all.

Back