An F-50 combo or Rectoverb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geiri

Reaction score
Hi everybody

I just got rid of my vettall from line6 and I'm going for a tube amp. I used to own a rectifier two channel solo head and I never got the hang of it. My favorite boogie sounds have come from a mark4. So I was wondering if you could help me out here. Both amps get raving reviews and I'm kinda lost or should I go for a peavey jsx ( used to own a trippple x and didn't like it. :roll:

My best recommendation is that you play through all of the amps that you are interested in to help you make up your mind. A Mark 4 is a different animal from either of the two amps that you mentioned, so it's hard to make a comparison.

What kind of music do you play? What tones do you like? Maybe some of the other guys can make some suggestions with more info of what you're looking for.

Thanx,
I know they are two different beasts. For example I love the system of down tone, and also the lamb of God tone. Hmmm Sod using rectifier and log using mark 4. John petrucci is one evil sounding dude also it doesn't stop there. What toneshaping pedals are needed to achieve the tone in my head?? I have no idea exept that I've been playing almost every other commercial amp out there with the only result being frustration after a couple of weeks. I like the Marshall bite and the boogies fluid gain. I need to find that one amp that will doit for me before my wife puts her foot down and makes me take up golfing.

http://www.myspace.com/angist

Geiri, If aggresive tones are your thing, the ROV is a great amp. The F-50 has a wide palate of sounds but not as much gain as the Rectoverb. The Rec's cleans are not quite as 'fender-y' as the F-50 and the amp weighs a ton.
If you like Petrucci's tone and your choices are the F series or ROV, go with the ROV. If you need a better clean go with the F-50.

Depending on your time frame...you might want to see if the Express 5:50 can do both :wink:

Geiri said:
Thanx,
I know they are two different beasts. For example I love the system of down tone, and also the lamb of God tone. Hmmm Sod using rectifier and log using mark 4. John petrucci is one evil sounding dude also it doesn't stop there. What toneshaping pedals are needed to achieve the tone in my head?? I have no idea exept that I've been playing almost every other commercial amp out there with the only result being frustration after a couple of weeks. I like the Marshall bite and the boogies fluid gain. I need to find that one amp that will doit for me before my wife puts her foot down and makes me take up golfing.

For what your after and based on options you presented I'd suggest the ROV. That comes with a few caveats though. neither the f50 nor the ROV are going to be quite as tight as you want, so get a decent EQ. If your a wuss about messing with such things, the MXR KFK Eq pedal is an option, I personally own, and swear by a real PA EQ. I have a Rane ME60 which is a 2 channel, 30 band EQ. (guitar -> volume pedal -> morley ABY with A going to my F50 head with a choralflange which is my clean sound, and b going to a zvex superhardon which feeds both channels of the rane which then feed my stiletto and my JCM800 which is my dirty tone). the 30 band EQ has enough range that I can EQ exactly the sound I want (and even boost the overall signal transparently) and take care of the stiletto series I's well documented and much lamented lack of gain and tightness. Personally, for the kind of metal tone your after, the mark IV will serve you a lot better, its got tons of gain, and is super tight, so you'll be able to simplify your rig somewhat compared to what I use for my dirty sound.......

my 2 cents worth

TheRazMeister said:
Geiri, If aggresive tones are your thing, the ROV is a great amp. The F-50 has a wide palate of sounds but not as much gain as the Rectoverb. The Rec's cleans are not quite as 'fender-y' as the F-50 and the amp weighs a ton.
If you like Petrucci's tone and your choices are the F series or ROV, go with the ROV. If you need a better clean go with the F-50.

Depending on your time frame...you might want to see if the Express 5:50 can do both :wink:

Geiri said:
Thanx,

Good post! I agree in general, but my F-100 and Tremoverb have the same amount of gain capability, which is a whole lot.

The Express 5:50 is interesting...

:D Thanx u people

I borrowed an F-50 and a ROV from the store for a test and found out that the rov is closer to what I'm after. But after surfing these forums I'm starting to think that what I'm really after is the mark lV.

Latest posts

Back