Amp switching with FCB1010

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chewykolchuk

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I've been looking around and I'm not finding any posts that address my question.

I have a Digitech GSP1101 and a Behringer FCB1010, and I plan on getting a tube amp head soon (running through a SS power amp right now). I know that you can program the FCB to switch between channels on an amp with a footswitch jack, but how exactly does that work? My concern is that if I set up some presets on the footpedal that switch channels, will it always switch the amp from one channel to the other when I choose that particular preset, or if the amp is already on the channel I want, does the pedal know this (or somehow the amp is on the desired channel thus the amp-switching signal does nothing)?

Example...say patch #1 is clean (channel 1 on amp), patch #2 is crunchy (ch2 on amp) and patch #3 is crunchy with FX (ch2 on amp) from the 1101. I want the amp to switch when I go from #1 to #2, but what if I go from #3 to #2...will the pedal tell the amp to switch, thus going to clean? If I start jumping around between the three sounds, will the pedal send signals that start channel-switching when I don't want it to? How exactly is the amp-switching set up, and does it differ with different amps? I think it's common knowledge (based on my searches) that the behringer owners manual isn't written for humans, so I'm utterly confused at this point.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm thinking of the Vai Legacy amp because of its price point, but I'm wondering if I want to keep the FCB for its amp-switching or get a Control 2 for the fact that it's mated to the 1101...

Welcome to the boards chewy.....I have a FCB1010, TC elec. G-major and Mesa mark IV. I am using the two switching relays found in the G-major to change my amp channels (3 chan.) and the FCB to change amp functions (eq
in and out and simul class/classA-tube selection) The FCB is a universal midi controller that can be programmed to do whatever you want. It can change amp channels, change patches, as well as send control change messages. There is a calibration procedure and then a Patch edit mode( where you can assign the relay switches functions)-The FCB is more than capable of doing what you are looking for......try the yahoo group for the fcb1010 and harmony central forums......lots of info there.

It's not hard once you get the hang of programming the FCB1010. I used to have the FCB with my GSP1101, and I was using it exactly the way you want with my Lone Star.

Just edit your patch the way you want, select what amp channel you want for that patch via the FCB relay setting and jsut save it. Each time you go to that preset it will remember which relay (amp channel) setting you had it on.

Works great and seamless.

Good luck.

Thanks guys. Obviously the pedal is designed for that use, but the manual is so weirdly worded that I was getting confused. I was wondering if it was kind of like the two light switches at either end of the hallway, where it doesn't matter the position of the two switches, it just toggles the light on and off.

I'm still a ways out from getting an amp head, so I'll not worry about that stuff just yet.

However, I've noticed something else between the FCB and the 1101. No matter how I calibrate the pedals, the pedals don't give a smooth taper from one end to the other. It's more like the pedals are on or off and no in between. I've calibrated the pedals numerous times. I've reset the high/low values since the 1101 only goes from 1 to 99 and not all the way to 128. Still no smooth transition.

Anybody got any pearls of wisdom?

Back