Amp stands for your Express

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grc911

Reaction score
Do you use one?
All the time?
Occasionally?
Does it help the amp sound / tone / projection?

I have one that stands the amp about 1foot off the floor and angles the amp upwards.
I had it for a previous amp but haven't used it with my 5:50.
Is it ok to tip the amp?

Does it help you or should I just eBay it.

Greg

I always use a stand with a combo amp when I play with a band. I put my Express on a couple of chairs when we rehearse and on a couple of milk crates when I play out.

It helps the amp project better and it's less bassy.

I have always used a stand for combos for projection. With the amp on the floor and the player not too far in front of it most of the sound is going right past the knees. If you are playing a club with no stage the sound is also going to your audiences knees. With the stand everyone can hear better.

About two months ago I purchased the STANDBACK: http://standback.net, and I think this may be coolest piece of musical equipment I have. The amp sits on the floor and tilts back to the triangle. It is very stable because the amp is right on the floor. It folds down flat and lays in the bottom of the combo so there is nothing extra to carry. I think I paid about $25.

grc911 said:
Do you use one?
All the time?
Occasionally?
Does it help the amp sound / tone / projection?

I have one that stands the amp about 1foot off the floor and angles the amp upwards.
I had it for a previous amp but haven't used it with my 5:50.
Is it ok to tip the amp?

Does it help you or should I just eBay it.

Greg

Yes I use one most of the time.
Yes it helps

I agree. I always have my amp off the floor. I use one of those generic black amp stands from GC with a piece of thin plywood slightly bigger than the amp's footprint for added stability.

That stand back looks like the bomb for my Express.

My Express is still under warranty, I will not install tilt back legs on it. My Nomad is a different story. It saw the love of the soldering iron and is out of warranty so drilling holes for the tilt back is a non-issue.

I just posted this on another forum, but it works great for me.

Couple years ago, I picked up an aquarium stand at a garage sale for $2.00 or $5.00. Works awesome ! My Mesa 5:50 was no lightweight and the Arc combo was a little bigger than a Champ.

PA080110.JPG

I used one of the angled stands for my Express 5:25 when I had it, but I found the angle was too extreme. All I wanted was to raise it off the ground. I discovered I could reverse the top pieces so that the angle was much flatter, although it did still tip back slightly. I found it worked very well and as long as the amp sits on a stand like that in a stable fashion, it certainly won't hurt it and I feel it makes it project far better.

I have been using an OnStage amp stand for my 5:25/10" and due to its folded shape had to stuff it in the car or van. It has always felt awkward for me. Don't get me wrong it worked as advertised and place the amp at the right height on stage.

Well last week I read an ad on Harmony Central and found an interesting item called a Standback. http://standback.net/
This little beauty worked perfectly and was super easy to transport and it took exactly 30 seconds to set up.

The best part is my amp never sounded better. The bass was great and the tone was on the money. I even had two people in the audience come up and say how sweet the guitar sounded. I use the green channel for clean and the red channel (blues) for a punch in sound and a bit of overdrive on the solos.

I am so happy because I have less to carry and everything sounds fantastic and all this nirvana only cost me 39.95!!

Nubbs

Taylor Classic Solidbody
Taylor T-5
Carvin DC-200 Koa
Washburn Prairie Song
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 - 10" v1

Back