Amp sound changes during a gig

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheStoner

Reaction score
During last night's gig my Dual Recto behaved in a way that it often does. We start the first set and everything sounds awesome. But towards the end of the second set (about 2 hours later) the sound, especially on solos, sounds harsh and thin. Someone said it was "ear fatigue" and nothing to do with the amp at all. Any thoughts?

It could possibly just be the difference in sound as your tubes get hotter, but that should happen before 2 hours i would imagine. As stated though, more than likely ear fatigue.

+1 on ear fatigue. Also, you may be hearing your tubes starting to go south. They may last mechanically for years, trouble free, but the tone will always degrade with extended use especially at high volumes for long periods of time. The tranny may have gotten pretty hot, power could have sagged, or who knows really. If you are the only one that noticed then I wouldn't worry too much about your equipment being at fault.

If you are not using ear plugs I suggest investing in some $15 Hi FI hearos. You don't have to use them every second but at least half of the time you are around high volume.

Latest posts

Back