Amp selling advice

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Platypus

Reaction score
I am at the point where I've done all that I want to with my rectifier and I want to try out the Mark IV head instead. My style has changed over time and with the Ace the only thing I really miss is heavy tight sear, something the recto is too loose to handle without pedals and what not.

I've come to the conclusion that I want to try and sell my 3 ch dual rec for a mesa mark iv head with the EQ option. Do you all think it's possible to find someone who'd want to do an even swap, or a shop that'd trade a used one for it? I know the Mark IV is a bit pricier new but they dont go for that much on ebay.

I'd like to avoid having to ship the amp

I'd suggest craiglist. It's not as likely to sell stuff on it vs. say e-bay, but it's pretty convenient for local stuff and trying to find someone in your area who will want to do some sort of trade.

I would imagine that a shop that stocks both would take the Dual Rectifier towards the MarkIV with maybe a difference to be paid kinda thing.

Trust me, you do better selling it on ebay which is where you will get the most money. Any shop will give you about $900 to $1000 for a used dual rec so you will loose major money that way.

Best thing is try Forums, put a price like $1150 plus shipping and see if you get any one that bites. If not then off to ebay and you should be able to get that.

Then i would look for a used Mark IV on ebay or local craigslist.

Todd

broknstuff said:
I'd suggest craiglist. It's not as likely to sell stuff on it vs. say e-bay, but it's pretty convenient for local stuff and trying to find someone in your area who will want to do some sort of trade.

That's what I'm worried about, I don't want to take a bath on the amp and then have to pay MORE for the Mark IV in a shop, but the shop is the only way besides a local pickup where I don't have to ship the amp.

There's me bitching about good advice I don't want to take :)

dude, first i would put it in either the local paper and or craigslist, then after that you have to do either e-bay, or other numerous online selling things. buyer pays for shipping so you aren't losing there. where do you work ? sometimes i will use FedEx and they will pick it up from my office. you have to get a large box and pack er well. depending on the year of your amp and condition you should easily get 1100 for it. if it doesn't sell re list it. e-bay is almost like the stock market where prices go up and down. i don't buy off there but 2 months ago doubles were going for 950 ! eeeek that is low. right now 2:90's and 2:50 are low and recs are up. ha ha ha. laugh but its true.

forgot to check where you live... i'll give you 900 cash, cause that is what i do. :wink:

Find someone local that will do a swap. This way there is no shipping and you don't lose your A$$.

I called up Guitar Center for grins and got a huge laugh this morning.. "I don't know.. we MIGHT be able to give you $800 for it depending on condition."

What a fvcking joke, I'm still laughing.

Sell it on Ebay with a reserve price that you can live with. I profited about $200.00 when I sold my 2 channel Triple Rectifier on Ebay last year. It had the chrome chassis and black diamondplate. Then look for a used MkIV. They are a great deal for $1000 to $1300 used. Make sure you get the footswitch!

Platy,

Hey bro, your posts are usually pretty good, but this one rubs me the wrong way. Maybe it's because I am a dealer and I have to deal with this kind of stuff everyday. This post is not meant to offend you, but to explain the logic dealers use and get us all thinking.

Check it out. As Siggy said, most shops will give you $900-$1000 for it depending on condition. Yes, you will lose money because you probably bought it new ($1599-$1799 if you bought it in the last few years). The store is going to sell it USED. It doesn't matter if it's dead mint, it is now USED. And therefore worth significantly less.

Yes, Boogies have a transferrable 5 year warranty, but there may only be a year or 2 left, depending on age. And that's if you can even transfer it to the new owner (Is it registered? Do you have an original receipt with the serial #?)

All of these kinds of things add and subtract value to a used piece.

Stores need to make a profit. It's not up to you to decide how much. Do you even know how much a building lease costs? Power bills? Phone? Inventory? Maintenance? The costs of operating a brick and mortar business are huge. We haven't even discussed trying to pay salespeople, let alone the money it takes to keep them on and train and develop them into a valuable resource for you to rely on when you need help. Those salespeople have bills to pay too.

If I give you $1500 for your amp and sell it for $1500, I've made no profit and can thus not put any cash towards the overhead costs of operating my business. Not smart from a business standpoint.

If I buy your used amp for $1500 and try to sell it at $1650, it'll sit and not sell. Why? Because it's just a dumb move for a customer to buy a used amp for $1650 that may have some sort of warranty left on it for a short time when they can just shell out another $150 and get a brand new one with the full warranty and Mesa backing. Now I have an amp that won't sell very quickly and $1500 cash tied up in it that I can't use to buy something else for my shop that might sell quickly. That's the whole 'turn' thing. You need to turn your inventory.

Used gear has to be priced attractively to move. You know that. You guys all hunt for bargains and being a dealer I know how much we still get beat up over price, even when something is priced at a screamin' deal. Most stores these days still get beat up on price, even if they discount things significantly off of retail or MSRP. Grinding for a lower price means that I now have less money with which to pay my bills, pay my salespeople, and order in the new Stiletto Ace and Mark IV people keep asking about.

Think about that point for a minute... It's important because most of us are so obsessed with the quest for a "deal" that we don't think who or what it affects when we get "a great deal."

A smart buy for a used dealer would be to buy it in for $950 or so, retube it (you know how much that costs), and then tag it at $1350. Now it's an attractive piece because it's significantly less than a new one. People will look at it as a viable alternative to a new one and possibly buy it much quicker regardless of warranty.

Invariably, the dealer will get haggled and probably end up giving away some profit margin to make the sale and get your business.... Great. Here come those money problems again.

Ah, sorry for the rant. The MI biz can be difficult, just like any biz, but people still need to think about it and be respectful of those trying to help them with a sale (assuming of course that you are treated with respect). Even the guys at GC. Most people who work at music stores are struggling musicians themselves and are trying to live the dream just as some of us are.

Sorry, I've kinda rambled and discussed haggling, the used gear biz, and more that doesn't have to do with your post, but I want you all to get some sense of the dealers' perspective, both small and large.

One last thing. Platy, you asked someone for a gear appraisal over the phone. They haven't seen your amp. They don't know if it is in good shape, great shape, mint condition, totally hammered, modified, recovered, previously serviced.... They don't know anything about it. I don't do quotes like that over the phone. Why? Because even if you just want a "ballpark" figure, once a number is thrown out, it stays in your head. If you get to the shop and the actual offer is different, you've now got the old "Well, that dude said he'd give me X amount for it, so you have to give me that." I've seen it soooo many times... People also don't intentionally misrepresent the condition of their gear, but to put it mildly, my definition of "mint condition" and that of the general public seems to differ wildly. I don't know how many times I've been told that something is mint. and when it shows up it's got torn tolex or grille cloth, belt buckle rash on the guitar, etc...

I know that probably isn't you, Platy, but hopefully it explains why the store you called gave you such a lowball quote, sight-unseen over the phone

Please feel free to discuss this issue as I'm sure not everyone here will agree with me.

sec34gtr,

To address your post, I fully understand how the system works but as a customer I have certain basic expectations and while you have valid points as a dealer but please don't give me the 'poor dealer lecture' of the struggling musician trying to make it on the quest for the almighty dollar. What places like GC is downright ridiculous to me and I don't see my opinion changing anytime soon. I've had nothing but terrible experience with them, most dealers I've ever dealt with save for the few I can count on one hand would lie/cheat/steal anything from you to make a profit and THAT is not what music is all about to me.

To pay $1700 for something that is BARELY two years old at this point 'new' from a store like GC, care for it lovingly for those years.. and then be offered not even HALF of what you originally paid so they can sell it at $1350 and make a $550 profit off you and then most likely get another $1350 off someone on something they already sold once is just laughable to me, I'm sorry. I don't care if that's how 'the business works' because in the end, you're just screwing the same poster child you've put up in your post about the struggling musician. I can't afford to take a bath like that on a piece of gear as a 'struggling musician' myself.

Another thing.. my father was sold a guitar from the store manager of the same GC as new... after a few weeks with the piece he found a small piece of paper in the guitar case with some guy's # on it... he decided to call and ask about it and found out someone had custom ordered that guitar, played with it for a few MONTHS and then sold it back to GC, prob took a huge bath on it knowing how shady this particular GC acts, and then GC turned around and sold it as new to my father. After learning this he called them out on it and they were basically like yeah, whatever.

These are the experiences I have. The end user doesn't care about the cost of business, that's how capitalism works, I just want a reasonable product at a fair price without having to get raped on it. I realize gear once sold loses a lot of value, but I'm not going to swallow over half it's value, that's just not realistic.

So if my sympathy for the 'dealer,' in this case someone who's trying to rob me blind, seems waivering I apologize, but you can't sense honesty and integrity through text on the internet so I understand your rant against what I said. Just remember I'm not looking to screw anyone here, in my for sale post on another forum I even described all the stuff I've done to the amp that might make it less desireable to someone. I don't have the time or money to deal with people trying to blatently rip me off, so if my post came across as sour against gear dealers, please try to understand that but I'm not telling someone one thing and showing them another, nor would I hold someone to a quote I was given over the phone.

All in all, I see your side of the argument but please try to consider mine.

edit: I don't want that to come off as any sort of attack on you, this topic has irked me for awhile so I apologize if you got the brunt of my own mini rant :)

Some small music shops in my area will sell an item on consignment for you. Tell them how much you want and they mark it up-then you wait-between that and craigs list and ebay, it should be gone in a matter of weeks.

Latest posts

Back