Amp Purchase HELP!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dakinetx

Reaction score
OK,
I know am asking the impossible BUT

OK, lil background.
From UK (where ALOT is expensive and hard to get/test).
I have a Rivera KR55 head in UK (currently for sale) which is great but don't want another here (am in Texas now, to stay).
I have owned ENGL Screamer, Marshall JCM, Mesa Single Recto and the KR55.

At the moment I am not in a band and probably won't be for year or so.
So I mainly play at home (therefore not really looking for mega loud amp that is only good at max vol., also not been an attenuator fan thus far).

So am looking for an amp to go from chewy/thick cleans to Classic (AC/DC - Lizzy) Rock to hopefully more gain for those Metal moments ala Alter Bridge/Priest/Metallica etc.
Now I KNOW this is asking alot, air has to be move therefore vol. needed yadda.

Anyway, even here in US gear is not always easy to find to demo so I relish your opinions.

On my list thus far (bear in mind I am looking as low price as poss. to aid my now PRS addiction but, looking bout $1,000-$1,500 but can go more for IT!)

Shur Badger - Power Scaling a plus but can it go high gain enough?
Fargen mini-Plex - same deal.
Mesa? My recto verb was cool. Tried a MKIV this weekend but WAY loud!
Diezel? (price owy).
Mojave - gain? power dampening?
MESA Tremoverb????????????

There are a plethora of amps but again being an Ex Pat I had somewhat limited chance to demo many so all input is VERY welcome.

Cheers.

The Roadking is pretty versatile but a bit pricey.

As far as the Mark IV being loud......any tube amp over 1 watt is going to be loud.

What's the main application?

For instance, if you play in your bedroom and can't turn up past normal conversation volumes then you might want to rethink buying a tube amp or possibly go with a tube preamp coupled with a solid state power amp (Mesa Triaxis, Studio, Quad, Recto).

The mark IV can be ran on very low wattage with all of the right settings applied (Class A, Triode, Tweed power). To me the overdriven power section with those settings is still loud in a sense but you can actually use it in a band situation.

I would suggest getting a nice little solid state practice amp and save up for an amp that will fit your future band's needs. Right now I have two rigs(Mark IVB with Thiele 112 cab and Mesa Triaxis with 50/50 power amp) and both can be played at home at whisper volumes or on stage with the full band. I play in a band that goes from rock to jazz and pretty much everything in between so I need a jack of all trades amp.

If you're looking for a classic sound you might want to check out the Blue Angel and the stilletto ace. The peavey Classic 30 or 50 are ok amps and have a marshally type grind to their OD.

I just bought a Digitech GSP1101 based off of a lot of hype so I hope it lives up to at least half of what people are saying. I am not going to use it for modelling but if it works out then I'll be glad to have the capability incase my amp blows up or I need to lay down some late night tracks.

Just trying to portray a more realistic outlook on the subject. Search craigslist in your area because there are great deals to be had. Even if you decide not to keep the gear it's sometimes best to at least have it for a week, month, whatever to fully decide whether it is right for you. A short demo sometimes proves nothing.

Greg

Hey Greg
thanks for the reply.

I am aware that tube amps are beasts. Thing is the tone in my head etc.

For instance, I was very happy with 'home' volume from the Rectoverb whereas the Rivera was not happy less cranked past residential volume.

I have a Zvex nano for cranked (although abit 1 trick pony) fun going into a Bogner Cube (my Rivera is UK version and in UK for sale).

I have thought alot and really love the Boogie tone and quality.

Seeing as wattage is not linear, I am now wondering wether a Tremoverb is a good bet? I know it's 100w when my Recto was 50w but not being all that many dB and all that. Also, as will be a gigging amp an attenuator is not out of the running. Especially now (apparently) so 'better' ones are out (BadCat leash, Ultimate Atten. etc.)

Really I need to try/find a Trem I know. I had very little tweak time with the MkIV and was in a busy shop so I perceived it as LOUD with time I had to tweak in small space.

I also tried the new Express but just did'nt quite 'move' me.

I love the recto tone and the 'Blues' channel on the Tremoverb intrigues me.

I think a badger etc. will be hard pushed to get the tone I want. Great for old school but nothing newer.

I will search for a Tremoverb I think. Any suggestions on best idea, combo/head?

Just asking as speakers/design with combo 'can' be limiting and would maybe narrow down my search.

Cheers,
Nick

The cab you choose will affect the "volume" as much as the amp. I have a rocktron velocity 1x12 cab I picked up for under $200 new and it handles my DR and Mark IV, but sounds quiet compared to my mesa cabs. The tremoverb is a beast and doesn't sound good under half volume IMO. I had the 2x12 combo and it weighed a ton (cool that it has handles on the sides for help carrying it though), so I would go head/cab if you go for the tremoverb.

Dagnabit LOL
Just found a combo for GREAT cost.
So, dos'nt sound good at lower volume (as felt my single Rectoverb did)?

I don't think it sounds great at low volumes, but if you can get a killer deal on one, you can always put it in a box with some foam in it. That's not meant to be sarcastic or stupid, I use to have to put one of my combos in a box insulated with foam to practice at low volumes, and it worked at the time. You could always try it at low volumes and see if you're satisified with the tones you get out of it, it never hurts to try.

yeah
and never tried an attenuator before so might help some?
I am in Houston and Amp is about 2 hours away but see what can do.
Just heard great things about the tremoverb (esp Blues channel).

OK
just got some cash together so those in the know, as we are talking about 2 discontinued Boogies here, is my best bet a MKIV or Tremoverb?
I would prefer either in head form (due to weight issues).
I know the MKIV is a tweaker but my Rivera Knucklehead aint no plug and play either so thats ok.
Any advice greatly appreciated as have read so much on both my head is spinng :?

The mark iv is still in production. I would choose the tremoverb, just because of the style of music I play, my gear, and my hands, but for the majority of people it seems to be the mark iv, so going blindly into it I would suggest the mark iv, even though it's not my first choice.

Back