Amp Dilemma

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstaudt24

Reaction score
Hey there everybody!

I have been having trouble trying to figure out which amp to ultimately buy and was hoping to get some advice from you. After much experimentation, I have tuned in my decision down to three options. The Roadster, the Mark V, and the Dual Rectifier. To give you an idea, I am trying to find an amp that can cover a wide variety of the tones I am looking for. I am trying to obtain tones such as the beautiful leads of John Petrucci, yet I also love playing material such as the crunchy rhythms of Avenged Sevenfold and the screaming solos of Dimebag Darrell. My main problem is that I want versatility. I think that the Mark V is the most versatile amp out of the three, however I am not sure that it can achieve the Dimebag Darrell tone (though I could be wrong). The Dual Rec is awesome for the Avenged Sevenfold tone and the Dimebag Darrell tone, but I'm not sure if I can get the versatility out of it that the Mark V could give (such as a Petrucci tone). I am currently not too sure about much that the Roadster has to offer. However, I have heard countless positive reviews about it. Basically, I want a versatile amp that can achieve screeching metal solos, crunchy rhythms, and nice clean Petrucci tones.

Do yall have any opinions on this? I could really use your help with this matter, and your opinions are GREATLY appreciated! Thanks in advance!

I used to have a Roadster, still have the Mark V. I guess the easiest was to describe them is that the Mark V can come pretty close to pulling off the sounds you get from the Roadster, but the Roadster can't do the Mark V high gain sound very well at all.

The Mark is a more midrangey, tight amp with smooth distortion, and the Roadster/Rectos are much looser in the power section and grittier in their gain.

The clean channels of both amps were fairly close, though.

Latest posts

Back