Amp Decisions?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antmic

Reaction score
hi every one im New here.. I Been looking through amplifiers to buy to get the sound that i want... but me Living in malta means i cant exactly try them out ( no body sells mesa or any high end amp here except Laney Fender MArshall and Peavey...)
I had recently bought a TripleXXX and Was extremely Disappointed... i liked the distortion.. but it seems like its only good For high gain... i cant get any Blues/clean tone out of it.. and i am in the process of selling it... been looking at Mesa Since my Favourite Artists (john Petrucci,Kiko Loreiro Etc...) use them...

Im looking for a Reasonably Priced Amplifier that has great Cleans and Great Distortion too..

I play from Blues jazz to Even Hardcore/Death Metal so versatility is my need..

what do you guys suggest?

i Already halve a 4x12 cabinet so id rather just get a Head... probably gonna Ebay for it it tho..oh and i guess i can spend about £1000

and i see you have a TripleXXX as well... did you manage to get any good low gain settings from it ? i couldnt get **** ... i was so pissed off cos it cost me a **** load to get it...

antmic said:
I play from Blues jazz to Even Hardcore/Death Metal so versatility is my need..

what do you guys suggest?

Mark II to MarkIV.

The Rectifier series has awesome high gain but a pretty cold sounding clean channel. It's better than the XXX, but if you're looking for a warm/fat sounding blues rhythm you probably won't like it.

The Mark series has a great sounding clean channel that overdrives quite nicely, and a lead channel that just screams all the way from Santana to Metallica.

Dual Rectifier would be my choice. I actually like the DR clean very much, I am not a true "Fender clean" fan...

The DR is capable of many nice crunchy tones I won't ever utilize...I am more of an extreme guy:) Clean or meltdown...

If you really do not need M/B, you could try out some of the higher Engl models, they are fantastic.

Jaroslav said:
D

If you really do not need M/B, you could try out some of the higher Engl models, they are fantastic.

i was actually thinking of ENGL... theyre getting a Lot of praise lately and they seem less expensive than boogies .. ill give them a shot.. when i get the money im gonna be all over ebay for a dual recto or an ENGL Powerball

Wish me luck

I used to have Engl Fireball. Nice amp, but it had common EQ, so you could have great clean or great distortion. That was no problem for me, as I need great distortion most of the time:)

Powerball should have everything you might wish.

If I compare Fireball to DR, Engl sounds a bit too "nice", DR is an angry beast. I have succeeded to find Fireball tones on my DR as well. If you do not need the extreme brutality of DR, then Engl will satisfy you for sure.

Latest posts

Back