Amp Advice?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainEntendre

Reaction score
Hi, I am currently in the market for a new amp and I'm seriously leaning toward Mesa/Boogie. Up until now, I've been mainly interested in: 1) a Rectoverb (which I've owned in the past, but had to sell), 2) a Mark IV, 3) an F30 or F50. However, I've been reading up on the Dual Caliber series and have read TONS of good things about them. I'm pretty much just a bedroom player, so it's hard to justify the cost of a Rectoverb or a Mark IV, and I was wondering if a DC-5 might be what I'm looking for?

Just for reference, my musical taste includes: classic rock, blues, metal (mostly older stuff like iron maiden, priest, metallica, 80s stuff..not so much new metal).

Any advice, soundclips, reviews, etc would be very appreciated!

Why not? You'd get a little taste of recto but yet still get some mark flavor. If you can't afford a Recto or a Mark IV then a DC is still a good choice. I tried one out while trying to decide Recto or Mark IV. Those amps are a pretty nice bang for the buck.

I know that this is a Boogie Board but I would suggest that if you are truly into the music you stated that you might try a Marshall. The bands stated Maiden, Priest, Metallica used Marshall. It wasn't until Puppets that Metallica used Mesa. Priest and Maiden still use Marshall. Of course the classic rockers used Marshalls, Fenders, Hiwatts, Laneys, Sunns, Oranges, etc. Blues players used Marshalls and Fenders or whatever was handy. Most hits in the above reasoning point to Marshall if you are playing that stuff. This is not to say not to get the DC, F, Mark, or Recto. I am only trying to steer you closest to the tones you are searching. In the Mesa line I would say check out the Stiletto. It is the most Marshall sounding Mesa. It might get you where you need to go.

i think you'd be quite happy with the dc-5, i have a dc-10 and play mostly metal but i like a nice clean tone, and i can achieve that with the DC. This thing is VERY versatile. I think you would be very pleased with it but the only way your going to know is for you to go try it yourself, if that's at all possible :D

go with the mark iv, i still think it is the most versatile amp ever made. if you're mainly going to play metal though, go with a rectifier.

I've got a DC-3 & a DC-5 & a Heartbreaker. All of them are very nice amps. You should have no problem getting most of the tones you are looking for with the DC-5.

If you lean more towards the Maiden tone than the Metallica tone, get the DC-3, it has 4 EL-84's instead of 2 6L6's. Both the DC-3 & DC-5 have the Graphic EQ too, so you should have no problem getting any tones that you want out of them.

I use the Heartbreaker for Blues & Classic Rock.

I am a long time Marshall player but came up with a Mark IV when deciding on which Mesa to buy due to versatility and classic Boogie sound. A Recto will be next.

Latest posts

Back