Alright guys......

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuitarGuy503

Reaction score
I have a decision to make (keep in mind that I have a Roadster Head sitting in my room but am cabless and have been for a month so far). Moving on, I have decided against the Roadster Cab that I put on order for various reasons and will be canceling my order tomorrow. Having said that, I'm in the market for a 2x12 but am not sure what to go with. I'm torn between the Mesa 2x12 horiz and Mesa 2x12 verti. I have noticed people like the Oranges but I have heard they are pretty slopply made if you open one up. I have also comsidered a Mills Mach212 but am hesitant due to the 3month wait time and the extra 300 it would cost (includes shipping). What do you guys think I should get for my Roadster Head? I'm overwelmed to be honest yet I just wanna play my Roadster.....

Get the mesa recto horizontal 2x12 cab. I will eventually buy another one because I hate lugging around the 4x12. The only reason I sold it was because I could not hear it at some tight roomed gigs being that it is close to ground and I'm fairly tall. Other than that, it is a nice sounding cab and matches the roadster quite nicely.

espboogie123 said:
Get the mesa recto horizontal 2x12 cab. I will eventually buy another one because I hate lugging around the 4x12. The only reason I sold it was because I could not hear it at some tight roomed gigs being that it is close to ground and I'm fairly tall. Other than that, it is a nice sounding cab and matches the roadster quite nicely.

I don't like the fact its to close to the ground either. It not only makes it harder to hear but it is a pain in the *** to adjust you amp settings if you need to. Not sure how well the vertical would work with the Roadster but I used to use a RECTOVERB with a vertical and the amp barely fit ontop. The heads rubber feet met on the very edges of the cab (middle of rubber feet). Needless to say that the head hung off both sides of the cab as well.

Hey dude,

I have a Mills 4x12. They are most definitely worth the weight and price and I'm sure their 2x12s are also. You won't be sorry if you go that route.

For a 2 x 12 look into a few options:

Mills Mach212B. I copied the design this summer and I was blown away by it. It definitely gets into the 4 x 12 department in terms of tone even though you can't get quite the beef of a 4 x 12. It does the heavies very well but I also managed to get a phenomenal jazz tone out of it yesterday. The only downside is that is it REALLY big for a 2 x 12 and kind of heavy!

Dr Z Z Best Cab. Thiele cabs sound great and are an excellent design for all levels of gain as well as clean. The Dr Z cab only handles 60watts so you may need to swap the G12H 30 out for either a v30 or a c90 if you want to crank the thing.

Road King 2 x 12. Balanced and great sounding cab. c90 in a ported enclosure on one side with a v30 in a sealed enclosure on the other. Definitely one of my favourite production 2 x 12s.

I have the Recto 2x12 and slant 4x12. The 2x12 sounds basically the same as the 4x12... the largest difference being that the 4x12 has a bit more midrange and better detail in the midrange. When I use the 2x12 I usually use it with the casters on the front so that it tilts back. The angle isn't that extreme so the head stays put.

Alternatively, the Roadking 2x12 has an open back side to it, which will give a bit less thump but a lot better sound dispersion provided there's a wall behind the cab for the sound to reflect off.

Orange's closed back cabs are extremely directional, so if that's one of your concerns then it's probably not what you're after.

Thanks for the input guys. I decided to just go with the Mesa horizontal. I found myself going back and forth between options and felt like I was over thinking things and things harder than they needed to be. I find myself extremely indecisive these days and it doesn't help matters to have a $1,400 head sitting in my room but no cab to run it through (has been irritating... lol). :)

screamingdaisy said:
When I use the 2x12 I usually use it with the casters on the front so that it tilts back. The angle isn't that extreme so the head stays put.

Good idea. I may have to do this as well..... :)

Latest posts

Back