All of a sudden...(?)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluestoned1

Reaction score
Hello All-

So...I turned my amp on at practice a few weeks (+) ago. I quickly noticed that the LED for Ch 2 was not functioning properly (ie: dimming on and off and sometimes completely off). I then noticed a much worse issue...Ch 2 and 3 were weak and anemic.

The amp has been in the shop now for three weeks and they're just about to FINALLY replace the led bulb shipped by Mesa. More importantly, they have absolutely no idea whats going on with Ch 2 & 3's lack of testicular fortitude!

I have absolutely no idea what the issue(s) is/are or if I'll ever have the amp back the way it originally was when I bought it new (almost 2.5 years ago). But..I can definitely say that I miss my amp!

Anyone ever experience this problem? Anyone understand what's going on in this particular case?

:cry:

A very similar problem. Mine only affected channel 3 though. The light would go out, or dim and fluctuate and then go out. The light issue lasted for a few days. So I thought it was a light issue. Then is started making a swooshing sound with nothing plugged into it. Mine was only a couple of months old. I took it to Mesa Boogie and again the technician (John T) came to the rescue. I know he did replace the light and some other fixes but I am not sure what all he did. We talked on the phone and he asked a few questions so he could hopefully get the amp to duplicate for him what it was doing for me. We also emailed. He had it less than a week and got it back to me in time for my next job. Been running strong ever since.

Bluestoned1 said:
Hello All-

So...I turned my amp on at practice a few weeks (+) ago. I quickly noticed that the LED for Ch 2 was not functioning properly (ie: dimming on and off and sometimes completely off). I then noticed a much worse issue...Ch 2 and 3 were weak and anemic.

The amp has been in the shop now for three weeks and they're just about to FINALLY replace the led bulb shipped by Mesa. More importantly, they have absolutely no idea whats going on with Ch 2 & 3's lack of testicular fortitude!

I have absolutely no idea what the issue(s) is/are or if I'll ever have the amp back the way it originally was when I bought it new (almost 2.5 years ago). But..I can definitely say that I miss my amp!

Anyone ever experience this problem? Anyone understand what's going on in this particular case?

I would have suspected a bad footswitch cable. Did the amp behave the same when the footswitch cable was disconnected from it & using the controls on the amp to switch channels?

How old is the amp? I think there was a "fix" for the switching matrix power supply on earlier amps. If your tech is Mesa Certified he should already know that.

Don't worry, Mesa will stand by their product. If it does not function properly when it returns from the tech call Mesa directly.

Dom

Thanks for your replies...still haven't heard ANYTHING on this from the Warranty Repair shop nor the Mesa Authorized Tech...

However, I'll say that the amp is only 1.5 yrs old (Purchased in May of '13) and had the same issue whether the loop was engaged or not and also same issue if the footswitch was connected or disconnected.

Not cool!

UPDATE!

Walked into the music store today as the Mesa Authorized Tech was walking out...he had just dropped off my Mark V!

Diagnosis: replaced the LED and 2 12ax7's. Supposedly, this has taken care of the issues I earlier described. WE SHALL SEE TONIGHT BUT MY FINGERS ARE CROSSED!

I'll report back tomorrow with my findings!

Latest posts

Back