Air Norton question.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTE

Reaction score
Well my Rg1570 originally i put a steves special and an air norton in it. I loved the steves special, but the air norton was alright, so recently i put a paf pro in it, because my jem already had one and i much preferred the neck tone on my jem to the rg. So now im happy with the paf pro, but i also really dialed in my dc5 much better, and im wondering if the AN would sound much better now. So im all for experimenting and next time i need to change the strings on my rg im going to install the AN again. The question is should i install it the normal way, adjustable poles facing the neck, or reverse with the adustable poles toward the bridge?

I know that John Petrucci's old ibanez jpm had the stock air norton placed in reverse. What is the tonal difference?

Which position did you try it in (bridge or neck)? I have one in the neck position of one of my axes and I LOVE it. It might be my favorite neck pickup. It's silky smooth with just the right amount of clarity. I can't say enough good things about it.

LTE said:
Well my Rg1570 originally i put a steves special and an air norton in it. I loved the steves special, but the air norton was alright, so recently i put a paf pro in it, because my jem already had one and i much preferred the neck tone on my jem to the rg. So now im happy with the paf pro, but i also really dialed in my dc5 much better, and im wondering if the AN would sound much better now. So im all for experimenting and next time i need to change the strings on my rg im going to install the AN again. The question is should i install it the normal way, adjustable poles facing the neck, or reverse with the adustable poles toward the bridge?

I know that John Petrucci's old ibanez jpm had the stock air norton placed in reverse. What is the tonal difference?

There is no tonal difference unless you start raising the screws on the screw coil. Having the screws closer to the bridge will give a teeny it more brightness in the neck position.....not nearly as drastic as in the bridge.

LTE said:

With the screws facing towards the bridge, it's a tad brighter sounding...

The AN and SS make a nice pair for sure. I found that I really dig my clean channel with the mids up around 7 on my DC-3. The clean channel was too dark when using the neck pickup until I bumped my mids up considerably. Now the neck pup is still darker than the bridge but has a nice clarity and cut still. Try it out...

BTW, I'm not a D-Sonic fan. Installed one in my JP and took it right back out. Too **** bright in comparison to the neck pup which made it impossible to EQ my Roadster (which is what I had at the time) for both pickups. Either too bright or too dark... very frustrating.

Well ive done it, and overall like it. Its got less output then im used to on a neck pickup and im getting used to it, but its got a really unique sound, very airy and it does really sustain alot. Though its alittle too "dry" compared to the paf pro in my jem.

As for Musicmanjp6, i love the steves special in the bridge, although at loud volumes i have trouble keeping it quiet, i dont think its the wiring, but i can have the same exact settings and volume and my jem doesnt feedback at all on the bridge, but with the ss is does.

Latest posts

Back