Advice on how to build a guitar rack?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Orange

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I found myself to be buying a few rack effects lately.

During this shopping spree, due probably to years of saving and saving money hoping to get my hands on more proffessional gear, I realised I do not have the expertise or knowledge to put all these things toghether in a proper guitar rack.

So, do you happen to know any resources on how to build a guitar rack? I have seen that most of you here have quite complexe rigs, so I hope you may have some bits of advice to share.

In the interest of clarity, these are the pieces that comprise my hopefully future rack:

1. Eventide eclipse
2. DBX 266XL
3. Dunlop CryBaby Custom Rack
4. Furman Power factor Pro R E power conditioner
5. RKII/Mark IV - I have not yet decided on which of the two.
6. Axess FX1 MIDI Footcontroller

Thanks in advance for listening/considering the dillema at hand.

With best regards,
JO

Guitarmaster, your advice is very useful. I am reading through those materials with high interest.

Many thanks for your reply. By the way, could you also recommend me a rack case?

I hope other passionate guitar players on this forum will also find time to share with us their experience.

In the meantime, thanks in advance for your contribution to this thread.

Hey, if you plan on putting your mark IV in your rack then I suggets getting a 12U rack case.

1U Furman power conditioner
3U rack drawer at the top
1U GCX
1U DBX
1U Eventide
1U space
4U mark IV
--------
12U flight case.

the 4 extra spaces might come in handy if you buy something and need to incorperate it

Also with the GCX you'll be able to switch all the channels of the mark IV and incorperate the eventide, jim dunlop and DBX all through the GCX which can be controlled through midi through your midi foot controller.

Here's what I have with my Mark IV and it works perfect for what I need:

Monster 3500 Power Conditioner
TC Electronics G Major
Rane PE 15 Parametric EQ (the only way to go EQ wise!)
DBX 166XL Compressor/Limiter
Korg Tuner
Rocktron Hush
BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer

Guitarmaster, just to let you know. I intend to go for the Switchblade GL. I am really enthusiastic about the features of this product. Although, as you say, it is pretty expensive.

Many thanks to all of you who also took the time to share your knowledge.

BTW, would any of you have any wiring suggestions for the processors?

Best regards,
JO

NEVER SUM THE MONEY YOU SPEND ON GEAR! :))

You know the funny thing, guitarmaster? When buying these things it didn't seem to me I am spending that much money :))))

Thanks for the suggestions. The Furman is being shipped as we speak. And the DBX is already bought. All equipment is new. So, I am afraid there is not much I can do here. :)

You are right with the prices in Europe. However, I avoid dealing with Central European dealers so I save a few bucks. Prices in Germany, Italy, Austria are a disaster.

So, what I do, I discuss directly with the US factories. It takes more time, that's true, but I spend less. And where I am from, there are no dealers usually so there is no warranty issue anyway.

By way of example, I bought the Crybaby for approximately 500USD directly from the Dunlop factory. Put 120 USD shipment and the Crybaby was here for USD 720.

The DBX was 100 pounds. I got it from Soundcontrol in London. Apparently I got lucky with a sale.

I paid EUR 600 (shipment included) on the Furman. Here I may have been a bit off the budget but the guys in Furman US did not respond to my emails. So... I got impatient and arranged a shippment with a german dealer.

The amp is arriving at the end of the month. I will go to Poland to get it, so I will pay around USD 3800 for the Roadking II (no diamond plate) or around USD 2800 for the Mark. Prices include VAT. I will go for the 2x12. It is dificult to carry the 4x12 with my Renault :) Trust me these are the best prices on these amps you can find in Europe. In London you get the RKI for 3800 pounds. BTW, if you search for my previous posts you will find discussions a year ago on the acquisition of the RK from Poland. So, I am somehow of a fixist guy :D

And the Switchblade... The taxes on this thing are killing me. I would probably need to pay around USD 2900 including taxes and VAT. So, here, I am considering downgrading to Switchbalde 8B. I am writing Ken tonight to get more info from him. Any word of advice with this?

On the Eventide I have some doubts. I have not paid for it yet, it is on probation :). The thing is moneywise I was thinking of going for the TC G-Force. It's less expensive and I can get both the Switchblade and the TC G-Force for that money. Any word of advice with this too?

So... indeed there is a lot of money, but if you take it piece by piece in time, it happens you find yourself with a guitar rig after a while. :D

God, this is a long post!

I stop now but I am looking forward to new correspondence.

Best regards,
JO

Latest posts

Back