Advice for ATA case for Roadster

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinhedgtr

Reaction score
Hey there,
I'm planning on getting a custom ATA case build for my Roadster 2X12 Combo. I have the option to get either 1/4" or 3/8" thickness for the construction. Is there a big difference in protection and overall weight between 1/4" and 3/8"?

This thing already weighs as much as a truck :shock: I will basically be moving my amp to and from practice like twice a week, but I would also like to use the amp case as a stand at shows to set my amp on top of it so I can hear it a little better.

If you're going to use it as a stand and support the weight of the combo, I'd go 3/8....I'm much happier with my newer 3/8 cases.

Eric

ibanez4life SZ! said:
If you're going to use it as a stand and support the weight of the combo, I'd go 3/8....I'm much happier with my newer 3/8 cases.

Eric

+1

If you can afford it, 3/8" is the only way to fly.

Got my road case from Xcase on ebay. Well made, fast shipping, but holy crap this thing weighs 65 pounds! So add that to the 100lb roadster combo and I've got a 165 lb amp! I think my next purchase is going to be a forklift :-o

B

Welcome to my life...2 4x12s, a head/rack combo case, and an additional head...all in HEAVY duty road cases :(

Okay, that makes me feel a little better :) Holy smokes you've got a lot of gear!

My wife is gonna be pissed when I start asking her to help me load my amp into the truck....haha

All,

Hopefully this is not a silly question, but when you pack and transport your amps do you take the tubes out or do you basically just lock it up "as is" and go?
I have never used an ATA case before and was wondering if there were any other precautions you might recommend.

Thanks!

fjk1138 said:
All,

Hopefully this is not a silly question, but when you pack and transport your amps do you take the tubes out or do you basically just lock it up "as is" and go?
I have never used an ATA case before and was wondering if there were any other precautions you might recommend.

Thanks!

Tubes should be fine in the amp. I've never heard of anyone pulling their tubes for transport, nor have I heard of them breaking during a trip.

@OP: I'd rather get a 1/4" case, because their lighter and should be easier to carry by yourself. I'm looking to get a case too, and hoping it's light enough for me to carry myself. But if you really need to use it as a stand, then get the 3/8"

EDIT: I just noticed you had a 2x12 combo. Then there is no way you would carry this yourself. In this case, but all means get the 3/8", because you're always going to need someone to help you carry it anyways.

Rydock said:
fjk1138 said:
All,

Thanks!

Tubes should be fine in the amp. I've never heard of anyone pulling their tubes for transport, nor have I heard of them breaking during a trip.

@OP: I'd rather get a 1/4" case, because their lighter and should be easier to carry by yourself. I'm looking to get a case too, and hoping it's light enough for me to carry myself. But if you really need to use it as a stand, then get the 3/8"

EDIT: I just noticed you had a 2x12 combo. Then there is no way you would carry this yourself. In this case, but all means get the 3/8", because you're always going to need someone to help you carry it anyways.

The weight of 1/4" versus 3/8" isn't drastic. You're talking only another few pounds. The strength factor outweighs the weight factor. An old bandmate of mine had a 1/4" case, and if it didn't have the gear in it, felt like it would fall apart.

I built my own case (head and a 4 space rack) from 3/8" plywood with a 1/2" bottom, and it only weighs about 15 pounds with the casters and handles. Fully loaded with gear, it's in at right around 100, and it is solid as a rock. No movement at all.

mikey383 said:
Rydock said:
fjk1138 said:
All,

Thanks!

The weight of 1/4" versus 3/8" isn't drastic. You're talking only another few pounds. The strength factor outweighs the weight factor. An old bandmate of mine had a 1/4" case, and if it didn't have the gear in it, felt like it would fall apart.

I built my own case (head and a 4 space rack) from 3/8" plywood with a 1/2" bottom, and it only weighs about 15 pounds with the casters and handles. Fully loaded with gear, it's in at right around 100, and it is solid as a rock. No movement at all.

Thanks, that's good to know. I guess there's a 3/8" case for me in the near future then.

I would also recommend the 3/8" cases...this thing is built like a tank. I don't see any need to pull tubes out for transport, the case is lined with some 1" foam to help absorb any shock that might occur from rolling it around. But holy crap, back hurts just lookin at this thing!

Back