Adding a '3rd channel' to my Mk IIC

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoBull

Reaction score
First wanted to see: this is a great forum. I've gotten great info from it and I'm more appreciative than ever about having my Mk IIC (I'm original owner). So here's a question:

I want a way to add a 'clean' lead sound to my arsenal; basically a boost I can kick-in when I'm using ch 1. I guess the final objective is to get a sound that's as if I cranked the ch. 1 volume to 9 or 10.

Here are some possibilities:

-Switch in the EQ
--Drawback: I like using the 'smile' setting and setting EQ to kick in with the lead channel
-Use the guitar volume
--I do this a lot and the high-quality of the Boogie means you get plenty of response through different volume settings, pick attack, etc. However, sometimes the rhythm sound I want requires running the guitar at 10
-Use a boost pedal
--I do have a Barber distortion pedal that I use for a lighter distortion sound. This is ok but still an effect. Maybe a simpler boost pedal would do.

Any thoughts?

An OD pedal (like the tubescreamer, xotic BB, digitech bad monkey, etc) would probably give you what you want and would expand your amp to 4 channels. The ultimate setup would be a switcher that controlls the pedal being in or out of path, your amps channel, and the amps EQ being in or out.

The digitech bad monkey is about $40 and sounds really good to my ears. I think that is the most economical solution that won't break the bank to try or result in a total loss if it doesn't work out. You could also try an EQ pedal up front as well.

I use a Triaxis and 290 now so the bad monkey really isn't necessary for me but it does add a pleasing effect when I decide to use it.

You could also do the opposite of what I described. Dial in your amp to have a broken clean or heavy rhythm and over the top ld. Now use the pedals to attenuate the signal (either an OD or EQ) so that would be your 'clean' tone.

There's tons of possibilities but it's just up to you how carried away you want to get. There's always the option of going with a Mark IV too :)
Greg

I have my IIC+'s Volume 1 set to 8 which will distort the clean channel so I just dial my guitar volume down. When I last spoked to Mike B, he told me that there's a mod in which another volume knob is added that controls the clean instead of having it shared with the lead channel like it is now. He didn't seem to hot on doing it as I think he likes leaving things the way they are. This is the mod John Petrucci supposedly has on his; extra volume knob where the front footswitch jack is. I think it would be really useful. As for pedals, can't help you there, I don't like pedals at all; prefer guitar->cord->amp.

zvex super hard on. its a totally clean gain boost. will give you exactly what you need.

Back