Acoustic through DC-5??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highwaynine

Reaction score
I have a DC-5; it's the second amp I've owned, and it may be the last. I love it to death - love what it does for my Les Paul.

Not too long ago, I tried running my electric-acoustic into the amp. (I usually just use it at home, unplugged.) I can't seem to get a clean sound out of it! The volume coming out of the amp is no louder than my LP, but it sounds like I'm overdriving the tubes?

The guitar has a Fishman pre-amp, but I have it turned down to less than 1/2. I almost got the sound cleaned up by turning the gain on channel one all the way down, and turning up the volume, but it didn't quite work.

Is it possible that I'm actually overdriving the tubes, or is there something wrong with the electronics in the acoustic? :? I appreciate any advice you all can give.

I have always had that problem with electric acoustics into a tube amp. I don't think there's anything you can do about it. It's probably got something to do with the preamp in the acoustic. To make sure theres nothing wrong woth the guitar or it's pickup system, plug into your PA and see if it's clean.

FWIW, I've tried running my Martin with the fishman blender into both of my amps (DC-3 and F-50) as well as into a friend's LSC, and it's always the same - gritty, broken-up sound. If you must use an amp instead of running direct into FOH mixer, it's probably worth it to splurge on an amp desingned for electric acoustic guitars.

Hamer- Yes. Good thought, but yes. First thing I checked.

Plump. On one hand, I was afraid of that, because I hate being at the complete mercy of the PA. On the other hand, it's nice to think it might not be the guitar. (I'll have to check, as you suggested.)

Do you think a limiter between the guitar and amp could clean the signal up?

I don't have a limiter, so I've never tried that. I had moderate success with a DBX rack compressor, but I got into horrible feedback issues at gig volume. Running with a pedal compressor was just too noisy.

I don't know if a limiter would really do what you want anyway - you'd probably end up loosing the sparkly definition you really need in an acoustic.

As I mentioned - what I do is generally run through the PA. If the monitor tech is any good, you can still hear yourself OK. Acoustics are very hard to deal with live, but people do it. I just don't think they work right through a tube amp - especially the acoustics with internal preamps.

Also, if you look at the amps that are specifically made for acoustics, you'll see they all have various types of notch filters; most have 8 inch speakers, and most also have tweeters in there too. A regular guitar amp just isn't designed to accurately reproduce an acoustic guitar signal.

Incidentally - I actually bought one of the Boss acoustic simulator pedals. Sounded really pretty goood in the store through a Jazz Chorus. Got it home, plugged Tele into pedal into my DC-3, and it sounded just like the acoustic sounded through the amp - distorted and generally really lousy.

Good luck.

FWIW, The ultimate solution I came to is an LR Baggs ParaDI box. Wide sweep variable input gain (easily compensates for a signal that ranges from wimpy to over-zealous-who-designed-this guitar preamp ;) ). It's got a standard EQ stack, plus two parametric eq's (oh yeah!!), and XLR-out to go straight to a board/PA and a 1/4" out which I use for the amp as stage monitor; also can be phantom powered. And of course, quiet. I've futz with trying to get my acoustic to sound decent ...the Para DI did it in a pinch. But wait, don't call yet, there's more (sorry, I just realized how this is starting to sound :) ). The price is ridiculous for what it offers in quality/features. Indispensible IMHO. Your mileage may vary... :)

Edward

Latest posts

Back