acoustic 160 - mk2 copy?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

therieldeal

Reaction score
I'm considering selling my acoustic 160 tube head. I bought it as a backup for my mesa, but since I haven't played a gig in like 4 years I figured I don't really need a backup anymore. I'm even thinking about selling the mesa.

It's in perfect working condition, it was professionally refurbed with all new tubes several years back, but I have hardly played it. The previous owner recovered it in black and did the "custom" steel mesh grille.

I'm not really sure how much these things are worth. I can't seem to find any for sale on ebay or elsewhere so that must say something of its rarity... supposedly these were pretty much a copy of the mesa mk2, and the lawsuit regarding these very amps was what put acoustic under...

it's switchable on the back between tube/fet preamp. There is a front switch for full/half power. The bass knob pulls for "boost", treble knob pulls for "bright". It has a two stage preamp section similar to my mesa, except there is a front switch to turn off the 2nd stage and a master volume for each stage. This is also footswitchable, but I cant seem to find the switch (it's not an original one). The reverb sounds nice but its not as deep/full as some amps I've played. The graphic EQ seems to work pretty well if you need to make major changes to the sound (I usually leave it flat). Overall the amp has a nice warm/deep sound, I was playing my '72 SG with P-90's through it last night. If you crank both preamps this thing really sings for leads... back off a bit and it does that mesa cruch perfectly.

I'm very curious what you guys think it might be worth. Here's a blurry cell phone pic, cant find the cable for my real camera...
acoustic160front.jpg

Latest posts

Back