Ace Stiletto and Single Coils

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjw11

Reaction score
Hi,

New to the board and I just picked up a Stiletto Ace 2x12. This amp is an all around versatile amp and the crunch channel is amazing.

I primarily use single coil guitars (Tele and Strat), I was just wondering, considering the brightness of the amp (and the EL34's), how are most of you setting up your channels to get a classic to modern rock tones without getting the ice-pick in the ear?

All suggestions welcome. Thanks.

welcome

single coil pickup configuration will brighten up things regardless
dual coils really compliment the stiletto's voicing IMO

try keeping you bass noon mid noon treble 9:00 presence off and go from there

Later

you could try acquiring a tube screamer and putting it through the fat clean mode (I actually have never tried this but i use the fat clean mode pimarily with cleans. It is a warm big sounding voicing and i can only imagine how good it would sound with a true bypass vintage tube screamer!!! :)

Once you tweak your amps eq settings to taste try acquiring a eq pedal or maybe even a rackmount processor with an onboard EQ (that way you could have a parameteric eq as well as some effects to boot. I use a g major and for the price it is killer. if you have the patience for one and you don't mind having a midi board i think it the way to go. i use to have a #$@ load of pedals but got rid of them and started using rackmount gear instead. IMO delays reverbs and chorus type effects sound better from a good rackmount processor then say having a bunch of pedals in front of the amp. Plus TAP DANCING with a bunch of pedals is a pain in the @#$ :mrgreen: ) and focus your efforts on adjusting some of the higher end frequencies.

Here is an informative sight on EQ frequencies
http://www.digitalprosound.com/2002/03_mar/tutorials/mixing_excerpt1.htm

this is just one of many sites that will give you some knowledge on how frequencies will affect your tone :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

GOOD LUCK
Keep ROCKIN

this is actually one site i really liked with regards to all of this frequency mumbo jumbo
http://www.scribd.com/doc/19058285/Awesome-EQ-Settings-Guide

Thanks for all the links and tips. In case anyone else is interested:

I've been fine-tuning all day. Keeping the treble at 9 0'clock instantly helps, as does keeping the presence low. Other tones controls at 12/1.

I found the tite clean channel sound great with either the Tele/Strat, but keeping the Master cranked all the way with the Gain at about 1:00. Slight breakup that responded nice to pick attack. Using an AM KOT in front with some delay in the effects loop really sounded great on this channel.

On the Crunch Channel...similar settings except Master at half and Gain at 1:00 -- nice crunch when pushed, very responsive to volume/tone on guitar...gave that nice EL34 "thump". I also tried boosting this channel/setting with an OD set for boost and the guitar just sang -- clear but not too compressed.

nice sjw11 glad you're enjoying it. Its an ongoing process learning about new gear one that I love anyway. You will find that this board is full of some good knowledgeable people that will take the time to answer your questions and may benefit from hearing about your thoughts as well.. Lots of Mesa heads (recently became one myself) of course, but most of these guys have plenty of experience with other gear as well. FEW knuckle heads and jokers from time to time, but hey sometimes a good laugh is good for the soul :mrgreen:

Today I tried something different...a Way Huge Pork Loin (with preamp set high) in front of the tite clean setting of the amp, with an Boss RE-20 in the effects loop and boy did that sound really good...very close to Andy's sound.

I've encountered the same issue with a Stiletto Ace and Strat. One thing I have found is to explore the gain settings around 2 o'clock. For example, if I want a relatively high gain, I will go to the crunch or tight gain mode and dial in a higher gain setting instead of going straight to full drive. Te higher gain settings seem to fill the sound out a bit more.

My $.02

One thing that is overlooked about the brightness of the stiletto ace combo is the V30 speakers. They will take a good couple of months to break in. When I got my 2x12 stiletto cab for my Deuce II I swear it took a good 5 months until I felt that cab smoothed out. I have also noticed with single coils is to use your tone controls on the guitar. That is what they are there for.

dmotisko said:
I have also noticed with single coils is to use your tone controls on the guitar. That is what they are there for.

I couldn't agree more. Your tone knob can shape your tone so much no matter what kind of pickups your using. our guitars tone knobs and volume knobs are our friends for sure :)

Latest posts

Back