AC/DC Tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogiepicker

Reaction score
Hey Boogie lovers. I was fortunate to recently score a Mark IIC and I am looking to replicate the tone of Angus Young from AC/DC in Back in Black.
Can anyone help me with some setting suggestions....while we are at it, how about some ZZ Top Tush settings.
Thanks in advance to everyone.
Cheers.
Boogiepicker

I don't know about mark II but my Mark III purple stripe simul-class does a great AC/DC style crunch in the Class A mode (EL-34 pushing 15watts) on R2 channel.

Just start with a clean tone, slowly add gain. Make sure you have plenty of mids (turn off the Graphic EQ if you have one) and a guitar with moderate output humbuckers will get you on the right track (Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II set for me).

I am never terribly interested in replicating faithfully anyone's tone. But for that general sound, yes, R2 is the way to go. As was just said, raise gain until you get that edgy, overdriven, but still note-distinct drive. I'd still keep the GEQ in play as it is essential for finely tweaking to taste. And buckers with more op helps vs lower "vintage-y" pups where you have to drive the amp further. FWIW, my LP standard (with BBPro pups) cops a pretty decent acdc if I do say so myself :)

Edward

Congrats on the IIC! I'm in love with mine. I have a loaded 60 watt export.

I like to keep V1 around 7-8; too much and it loses some tightness. Treble about the same. Keep bass and mids low. An inverted V in the Eq. is my favorite...emphasize the mids here. An early '70s SG and you're set.

I have a Boogie IIb and the Carl Martin Plexitone nails AC/DC...and I play with a strat...I can only imagine humbuckers through it. I highly recommend you try or get a Plexitone...superb pedal...a very nice clean boost as well.

-Murf

boogiepicker said:
Hey Boogie lovers. I was fortunate to recently score a Mark IIC and I am looking to replicate the tone of Angus Young from AC/DC in Back in Black.
Can anyone help me with some setting suggestions....while we are at it, how about some ZZ Top Tush settings.
Thanks in advance to everyone.
Cheers.
Boogiepicker

It'a a 15" wood cabinet??

Thanks for the suggestions! I appreciate it!....just got back home and ready to rip into that boogie with your reccomendations.
No its not the wood cabinet, but apart from 1 tiny nick on the side it looks BRAND NEW.....and powerful is an understatement.
I plan to go at it with Les Paul first and if that doesn't work I will have to break out the '65 SG....gotta love Gear Aquisition Syndrome
Cheers

....got sidetracked and lost in a jazz tone, but its loud!!
I notice you have a IIC and IIC+, .....nice catch....do you notice a real difference in the 2 amps

boogiepicker said:
....got sidetracked and lost in a jazz tone, but its loud!!
I notice you have a IIC and IIC+, .....nice catch....do you notice a real difference in the 2 amps
Absolutely. I originally bought the IIC intending to upgrade it, but I dug its sound so much I just couldn't...so I bought a C+ instead. I find the IIC to be extremely versatile and gainy enough for most stuff I play. It's very sensitive to changes in guitar settings and playing technique. And with a Tubescreamer in front, it comes very close to the C+. I'm not a real high gain player, and I really enjoy playing them both equally. In fact, it's nice to switch between the two as it changes the way I play and stimulates my imagination.

I originally bought the IIC intending to upgrade it, but I dug its sound so much I just couldn't...so I bought a C+ instead. I find the IIC to be extremely versatile and gainy enough for most stuff I play.

I have a C too and, like you, I can't bring myself to have it upgraded to a C+. The C is perfect for straight ahead rock & blues. I also have a Mark III blue and a IV. Tonewise, the regular C has the best lead tone (singing sustain, rich harmonics/feedback, and cuts through the mix very well) and best clean of the bunch (more chimey/3-dimensional/Fendery than the III & IV).

I was always afraid that upgrading to a + version would make the amp sound more like the III and IV - I much prefer a cutting lead iinstead of a smooth lead like the IV has. The only shortfall that I have with the C is that it can be too tight at times and is not the greatest for palm muting unless you scoop the EQ. That said, there will be no + upgrade for me...the regular C's are also getting scarse due to everyone upgrading.

Getting back to Boogiepicker's original post; IMO, the C does classic rock very well, so I'm sure you'll be able to dial in some good AC/DC & ZZ Top tones. If your amp is Sumul-class, you may want to try installing EL34's in the outside sockets. I prefer all 6L6's, but EL34's will get you closer to the Marshall tone.

And then you asked him about the new Mark V and he went on to say??????????????????????

gts said:
He went on to explain a few of "tonal" the differences in the C to C+ to me (btw differences in BOTH rythym and lead modes) and again referred to the C as the "C minus". Lasty he said he said because of the benefits the C+ has over a C, he sees no reason for any C to remain a C and not be upgraded. This was a pure, from the heart comment.

I wish I could remember the specific details he stated about both modes but his passion was so strong it left a lasting impression. An impression that even though I forget the specifics I would have no reservation or doubts about sending one in to be upgraded.
He fully believes in the C+!!
Mike was a huge help when I acquired both my Mark IIs, and his reputation needs no explanation here. His opinion that the export tranny was best for Mark IIs led me in that direction. To his ears I'm sure he's speaking from the heart. But to my ears the IIC has a certain vintage feel that the C+ just doesn't. It could also be my specific amps (60 watt IIC vs Simul C+, both exports). I love them both: the IIC is like an adoring wife, whereas the C+ is like a passionate fling. Both cultivate inspiration but in different ways!

Maybe it's time to visit my brother in No Cal and pay Mike a visit...

George,

Visiting MB and speaking with Mike must have been very cool - next time, bring a little pocket recorder with you :wink:

Some of the things I considered before decidng not to do the upgrade:
- I really like the clean tone of the C - it is much better than my III & IV.
- Mike improves the effects loop when performing the + upgrade. I've never had any issues with the effects loop on the C so don't think that I'd benefit much from that upgrade.
- I like the idea of having a little more gain on tap for the Lead channel, which the + upgrade would pervide. However, I really like the way the C's Lead cuts through the mix. For I'm not a big fan of smooth lead tone and prefer a more cutting tone that stands out. The C's lead is real gritty and aggressive sounding. I mich prefer it to the IV;'s lead tone. I'm afraid that the upgrade would smooth the lead out too much for my taste (i.e. make it sound more similar to the lead tone in the IV)
- The cost of the upgrade, including shipping, will be $400+ . I'd probably make this money back if I ever sold the amp, but I'm not planning on selling.
- Seems to be conflicting opinions of the upgrade - most like the C+ version best, but others, like Dodger, like the C as well. If I'm happy with my C, why take a chance?

That said, I've never played a C+, so I really don't know for sure if I would like the C+ better than my C. Maybe I should pick-up a C+ at some point, like Dodger did, so I can compare them. Just have to find one for under $1k :cry: :shock:

Side note: I auditioned for a classic rock band about a year ago, and the other guitarist was an accomplished studio/touring guy that had top notch equipment - he was playing a PRS through a DR Z that night. He really dug my tone and commented several times that night - wanted to know what the amp was etc. That also helped with my decision not to do the upgrade.

Hey Tuna: If you're ever in upstate NY, give me a call and you can A/B them! [/quote}

Thanks for the offer Dodger. Actually, GTS (George) and I had talked about doing a comparison, but neither one of us wanted to make the drive from Boston to NH or vice versa. I'm not curious enough to make the drive to Upstate NY, but really appreciate the offer.

I purchased my C used in Feb 1987. The original owner was selling it to purchase a Pierce amp. My C is a loaded combo w/EQ, Simul-class, reverb, and EV. i actually blew the original speaker back around 1990 (not sure if it was a MB Celestion or EV), but replaced it with an EV12L.

I used this amp playing clubs from 1987 to around 1993. then i purchased a Triaxis and continued to use it's power section to power the Triaxis. I finally sold the Triaxis last year and have switched to a Mark IV for live use due to its versatility - I use a Ground Control/GCX system to switch the amp and my rack, and also the GCX to switch between the Mark IV's preamp and an Egnater IE-4 preamp.

The Mark IIC amp has definitely served me well for more than 20 years. For bedroom noodling and jams, I usually bring my Mark III, which is an awesome amp too.

Sounds like you've got some killer amps too!

gts said:
But in general Dodger it may be the config of the 60w C vs the simul C+ that you are hearing.

I seem to prefer my 60/100 C+ versus the Simul. And the 60/100 is an upgraded C-C+. Perhaps if I should throw in some 6L6's instead of El34 in the outer two sockets of the simul to see how that affects things. Maybe I prefer 6L6's? It may simply be you prefer the tone a 60w 6L6 configuration vs simul.
Thanks, George. I've suspected this too for a while now, especially after Mike B told me the 60 was more like a Fender on steroids, which is where my ears are now. In fact, I now have all 6L6s in my Simul...can't get comfortable with EL 34's (same with my Mark IV). I did try a pair of NOS Sylvania 6CA7s in the outer sockets that I really liked too.

If I can impose further, how would you compare the 60 to the simul in terms of overall tone? I'm not after a Metallica/Nirvana tone, but something more rooted in 80's medium gain rock. I find myself looking to boost the IIC or tame the C+! I was wondering if a 60 C+ would put me closer to the smooth but aggressive, bright but not earpiercing, but not metal gain territory. I find my writing style has migrated toward an aggressive Strat rhythm sound from the liquid Gibson lead styles of my younger days. Then again, maybe my Simul needs a cap job as it's just a bit coarse and grainy for my liking. Thanks again. Frank.

OK, I think I have found a reasonable version of the AC/DC tone from the Back in Black era.
V1 5.5, Tre 5, Bass 5, mid 6.5, M1 1.5 (pulled), LDr 7, Lm3, Rev6, Pres 10
Playing thru the neck pick up of a stock a '65 SG volume 5 tone 4
Although I have found this acceptable for now, I can't really replicate the dark rip that I hear Angus tear into.
Please try this and let me know of any variations that you recommend.
Boogie on
Cheers

Latest posts

Back