A stupid question...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rkorn

Reaction score
I'm a happy owner of a Mark V... wouldn't trade it for any other amp... but i have a problem!!!
I need another amp... something a lot cheaper, so that i can use it on rehearsals as the Mark V will not be available for all the rehearsing that I do. As of next month on i will not be able to have it everyday for practice, only for gigs!

Say your justice!
I was thinking Engl Screamer 50 head

I want something brutal with screaming highs (treble/presence)
This way i have something nice for practice and for the studio I get the other side of tone that Mesa doesn't have..

I play high gain!
(MarkV - IV and Extreme modes mainly)

Rkorn said:
I'm a happy owner of a Mark V... wouldn't trade it for any other amp... but i have a problem!!!
I need another amp... something a lot cheaper, so that i can use it on rehearsals as the Mark V will not be available for all the rehearsing that I do. As of next month on i will not be able to have it everyday for practice, only for gigs!

Say your justice!

This way i have something nice for practice and for the studio I get the other side of tone that Mesa doesn't have..

I play high gain!

What's your budget? You could find a used Express for less than a grand. I sold my Express for my Stiletto, and I really wish I hadn't!

I was thinking something that didn't need pedals... i'm not pedal friendly!
That's why I was thinking of an ENGL.
My budget isn't useful... i'm from Portugal! and prices are VERY different here! it's not that things are that expensive... it's the wages that are quite small...
I have a tight budget... but if something good came out i would buy it!!!
My choices would be:
Engl Fireball,
Mesa Boogie f-50 (this is quite rare here so its quite impossible)
engl Screamer...
Engls used here are not that expensive (all of these are used obviously)

Rkorn said:
My budget isn't useful... i'm from Portugal! and prices are VERY different here! it's not that things are that expensive... it's the wages that are quite small...
My choices would be:
Engl Fireball,
engl Screamer...

Perhaps you should just shop around locally and make the best decision out of those options. If you already have a Mark V, you don't need to find another "perfect" amp. If you ask for our opinions, we'll give them in spades, but we will probably recommend a lot of gear that just won't be possible for you to get where you are at.

Rkorn said:
My choices would be:
Engl Fireball,
engl Screamer...

Get the Fireball 60 then (which is brutal with screaming highs).

Rkorn said:

Say your justice!

I play high gain!

Can't ya just buy a 1x12 cab and take your mark v to rehearsals, that's what I'm doing when I get mine. As you say you have the perfect amp already. Why search for one that isn't?

screamingdaisy said:
5150/6505

?

That's what I'm saying. Or, pick up one of those older Peavey Ultras. You can get them used for a few hundred bucks...and they can hang with the best of them. I've owned a few. :wink:

if your more into rock-marshall kind of sound I'd go with a Laney VH100R or Laney TT100H, both super great amps, If you need more of a modern metal tone, I'd pick 5150

I still have my ENGL Screamer 50 head. It's a good price for the quality, simple design, good tone, solid construction. With the Engl 1x12 it sounds quite different from the combo (ported bass reflex vs open back...). You just have to try it and any of the other good suggestions and see what you like.

what about a marshall dsl, or even a peavey ultra plus?
they both go on CL around here for between 450-700. not a bad investment for a decent production line amp.

i'd go DSL and run EL34's in it.

Latest posts

Back