A great neck humbucker is...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lockbody

Reaction score
In response to the Quintessential Dimarzio Neck Pickup thread, what's your favorite neck pup. It just happens that in all of my Hamer guitars I've got Dimarzios in the neck positition. Hamer generally fits SD '59s in their guitars, but I don't know, that pickup is just a little too "round" for me.

Maybe that's why I like the Dimarzio Air Classic in my Standard. Very balanced, not too hot, very "50's" if you will. In my Vector, I've got the stock, 80's Hamer "Slammer" Dimarzio which is basically an overwound PAF. This is a big pup. Bluesy and soulfull, lots of Hamer guys look for these pickups to replace others that have been swapped in over the years and there aren't that many out there for sale for a good reason.

In my Diablo, an early '90s shredder, I wanted to do something different. My other two Hamers are mahogany, but the Diablo is alder, and when I think alder, I thing Strats and single coils. So I got a Humbucker from Hell and plan to put a 5 position Superswitch in to maximize the HFH with the Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge. The HFH, of course, is Dimarzio's attempt at a single coil sound from a humbucker frame. Good job, Dimarzio.

Who else?

EMG H, sounds like a Strat. Gets that watery Hendrix/SRV tone but in a Les Paul so you get the sustain, fat bottom and bite of the Gibson. Sweet!!

lesterpaul said:
I dig the BAre Knuckle "Mule" neck-think Warren Haynes
-lockbody..another Alabamian..pleased to meet you....

And another lefty at that, but I play right-handed though. Pleased to meet you too. What part of North Al. do you call home?

So what? That makes at least five of us from North and Central Al. on this little board?

lockbody said:
lesterpaul said:

And another lefty at that, but I play right-handed though. Pleased to meet you too. What part of North Al. do you call home?

So what? That makes at least five of us from North and Central Al. on this little board?

yes..we are growing like a fungus..
stuck between Athens and Madison..East Limestone area...known as Capshaw..home of the big prison...hence "badlands"

My fav neck pickup is the Duncan Pearly Gates. I am not a fan of Dimarzio's pickups and their underhanded trademark policies (look up Kinman vs. Dimarzio and the double cream bs) have made me swear off their products forever.

lockbody said:
lesterpaul said:

I'm righty, but play lefty - strange, huh?!

IMG_1560.png

Back