A good amp for a Stratocaster under $800?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elpelotero

Reaction score
My buddy just picked up a stratocaster and is looking for something around $800. He came to me for advice, and while I have some ideas, strats are not in my bag of tricks.

He's looking for a stellar clean channel, and a warm, thick overdrive. No high gain, although if the amp can handle it while doing the others well it'll be a plus.

I was thinking of amps in the line of Heartbreaker, Blue Angel, Maverick, F-Series, Nomad, DC series...Though I'm not entirely familiar with these. Which would be best for the tone he's after? A Lonestar would be best I feel, but I don't think I can find one for <$800.

He's open to any brand, not just Mesa.

Thanks!

The Mark IV is the ultimate Strat amp as far as I'm concerned, I'm not sure what they run to in the States though.

I played a Fender Supersonic once that was very nice, decent drive (I'm not that hi-gain a guy either) but also the delightful Fender clean. Alternatively, maybe just getting something like a Deluxe Reverb and a preamp of some sort for drive?

Basically, Mark IV notwithstanding I would go for a Fender :)

strats are the secret to success. you may be able to get a mark 3 for 800. seems like all the mark series prices went up when the V came out.

zebpedersen said:
The Mark IV is the ultimate Strat amp as far as I'm concerned, I'm not sure what they run to in the States though.

I played a Fender Supersonic once that was very nice, decent drive (I'm not that hi-gain a guy either) but also the delightful Fender clean. Alternatively, maybe just getting something like a Deluxe Reverb and a preamp of some sort for drive?

Basically, Mark IV notwithstanding I would go for a Fender :)
I was going to say Supersonic too. Its a pretty cool amp. Not your average Fender

Since high gain is not what he's after and he is more interested in good cleans,it can only be Fender.Almost every amp made that touts good cleans is likened to a Fender,so its best to go with what everyone emulates.The Silver Face Pro,Bandmaster and Bassman are good in the 50 watt range.The last 2 being heads may bring him over the $800 number,with a cab,although I have seen many SF Bassman and Bandmaster heads going 350 to 450 bucks.A BF mod can be done for not a lot of $$ if you find the right tech.In fact,the early AA165 Bassman is very close,if not exactly the same as the BF.There were quite a few "crossovers" that had a mix of BF and SF circuitry,some of these should be no more than $50 to mod,or if you are capable,you can DIY.The SF Deluxe is a great choice,it is only 22 watts,which should be loud enough clean for most non-metal rock cleans,and it will break up real nice and not get ear splitting when cranked.You cant go wrong with a genuine Fender amp with a genuine Fender Strat,they really did focus on designing their amps to go with their guitars,everybody afterwards just copied them,Boogie included,when it comes to cleans,anyway.

Fender Blues Jr. I have one modded my BillM. 15 watts of pure tone. Cleans are bliss and this thing cranks. Dont let the 15 watts fool you.

IMG_2498.jpg

Back