A couple of questions regarding amps

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffReigns

Reaction score
Alright guys, so I'm in the market for a new amp. I've been looking really hard at Boogies... I was originally going to get a 6505, but I couldn't pull a good clean tone out of it, and I need cleans.

I've been looking at the 3 ch. Dual Rectifiers and the Mark IV. I've played a Dual Rectifier before, so I know I like the amp, but I've heard of some people having problems cutting through at band practice and live...

I wouldn't worry too much about it, but I'm probably going to buying used unless it's the Mark IV, so I'm not going to be able to return it if it doesn't cut through... any advice/experience on this matter? Thanks a bunch guys.

The only way you wont cut through is by playing channel 3 in modern mode with the mids scooped. Keep them above 10/11 o clock and you'll cut through fine.

Awesome! I appreciate it man. Yeah, I'm not too much on the whole scooped mids thing, it sounds so hollow and lifeless... of course in my younger years I thought a little differently... didn't everyone? Thanks again!

If you're into the Recto sound and want great cleans, you should be looking at the Roadster instead of a typical dual rectifier. It has incredible cleans from the Lone Star and dual rectifier crunch.

Scott

scottkahn said:
If you're into the Recto sound and want great cleans, you should be looking at the Roadster instead of a typical dual rectifier. It has incredible cleans from the Lone Star and dual rectifier crunch.

Scott

My friend has a roadster combo, and I love that thing, but I just can't pull together the cash for it.

I had a Recto-Verb for a short while and while it had awsum distortion, the cleans weren't to my liking. If your not looking for bone crushing gain the Lonestar may be the amp for you. They are available used. You can always use a pedal for your super high gain. Hey thats what we did in the old days. :wink:

If you have the money get a Roadking Series II or a Roadster, if not a rectoverb would be the way to go if you want great cleans. You can get great cleans out of a dual and triple rec, you will just have to buy some pedals to color it. Out of the box the cleans in the dual and triple recs are lacking.

I know we're on the Boogie board, but since budget is an issue and you can't spend for the Roadster, you may want to check out the Fender Super-Sonic. You can get it as a combo or head for a little under $1,000.

The clean channel has two voicings -- Bassman and Vibroluxe, and sounds incredible. And the heavy channel is Fender's heaviest ever, dual-cascading, high gain channel that sounds a lot like a Boogie Rectifier. It's a 12ax7/6L6 amp.

In my review for MusicPlayers.com, I found it ironic that Boogie started out with Randall Smith modifiying Fenders, and now years later, finally Fender is making an amp that sounds like a Boogie! I have one and love it, other than the fact that it has so much headroom I can't play it at home at a volume past 1 or 2 on the dial (baby in the house).

Scott

Well, just so you know, I play metal(obviously, lol). I like pretty cleans, most of the time I use a light chorus on cleans anyhow, so using a pedal with it wouldn't matter much to me. The cleans on the 6505/5150 just sounded so unworkable even with a chorus(I was trying the 6505+, btw)... so naturally I'm coming to boogie. I'm going to go to my local dealer later today to try some stuff out, I hope they have a Mark IV in there... thats the one I've never played and heard so much about... so hopefully by the end of today I'll reach a buying decision... just waiting on income tax...

Rabies i was reading your reply and you said that the mark IV is more versatile than a roadking, you must be smokin, i cant think of a amp that is more versatile than a roadking, it might be too versatile actually. The roadking is basically numerous amps in one, you can literally spend time and get any sound out of it you want, but its definitely pricey. Jeff you might even want to look at the express line of amps that is coming out soon.

I have to agree. The Road King II is the most versatile amp Mesa/Boogie has ever built. The ability to go from a Brit-voiced clean 2xEL-34 tone with an open-back 1x12 cabinet to an American voiced 4x6L6-driven 4x12 closed back on the next channel is unmatched, and that only barely begins to describe the Road King experience.

:D

Latest posts

Back