• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toThe Boogie Board and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

'92 Black/Chrome Dual Rectifier Serial R-0109

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfguitar!

Reaction score
Well, I'm shocking myself here but I think I'm going to part with this amp. I have two of them so I guess that's one more than I can play at a time. I just wanted to post this as an FYI since there is persistent interest on this Forum. I dusted it off tonight and will work up the description tomorrow so I can officially list it. If you have any questions, please e-mail me, I'm not the biggest fan of PM's. I'm probably going to list it on eBay. Would someone be kind enough to remind me of the correct terminology for it's board revision - is it RF-1C? Thanks!

1.jpg

How much do I want.....?? I don't have a firm selling price in mind. That's why I said I will probably stick it on eBay. I do know that R-0203 sold for $2,225.00, and a broken R-0094 sold for $2,550.00. I really love this amp and I'm not dying to sell it but I do have two. So if the price is right, I'll let it go. Again, it will probably go on eBay, but I'd gladly entertain a solid offer. Thanks!!!

I listed the amp today, here is the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110170616959

Thanks fellas! Johnson I thought you might be interested in this one. Anyone want to place their bets on how high it gets?

Surfguitar! said:
Thanks fellas! Johnson I thought you might be interested in this one. Anyone want to place their bets on how high it gets?

Well, I was thinking about getting this one (because it has an earlier s/n) and selling my blackface that has a sn in the 300's...but im in the process of tracking down some PRS guitars from the 80's :lol: (my newest obsession)! I bet that this amp will pull $2,100-2,200! Goodluck :!:

appears there is another pre500 black face on ebay with more defined pictures. I think that might hurt this auction from reaching the $2k range. We'll see.

Johnson said:
Surfguitar! said:

Well, I was thinking about getting this one (because it has an earlier s/n) and selling my blackface that has a sn in the 300's...but im in the process of tracking down some PRS guitars from the 80's :lol: (my newest obsession)! I bet that this amp will pull $2,100-2,200! Goodluck :!:

just because it has a lower serial number doesn't make it any better. A serial number in the 100's will be a revision C, which will sound brighter. A revD in the 300's is just as collectable and tonelicious as it will have a slightly darker sound.

Elpelotero said:
Johnson said:
Surfguitar! said:

just because it has a lower serial number doesn't make it any better. A serial number in the 100's will be a revision C, which will sound brighter. A revD in the 300's is just as collectable and tonelicious as it will have a slightly darker sound.

True, but for some reason, the earlier the date, the more it can bring in for resale.

Elpelotero said:
Johnson said:
Surfguitar! said:

Sound better? No...but more collectible in my opinion. I love the sound of my RevD though.

I guess that being good would be a matter of opinion. The "pre-500" mania seems to be following the same pattern as the IIC+ mania. We have thread after thread talking about them as well as info. spilling out to other internet forums.

Some contest the Pre-500 are amazing. I had #64 and thought it was really nice. But some claim any 2 channel sound equally as good... just different.

The 3 channel is fizzy and the two channels are more broken sound, crunch with growl.

I'd imagine any 2 channel with a OT and bias mod could be amazing for way less the cost.

I'm going to say IMO, the "pre-500" is more hype than anything else.

Bragging rights > Tone

EDIT to ADD: I played my #64, a 3 channel Dual Rect, and my RG100ES boosted with a Guyatone through my Mesa Recto cab for my girlfriend (who has unbias opinion about tone) Her comment after she shrugged was.... "I don't understand why that's a $2600 amp?" She likes the Randall w.guyatone the best. And honestly, so do I.

IMO, (no disrespect to Mesa) The 1988 RG100ES w/ guyatone is the most amazing metal tone that I have ever heard. And I have less than $300 invested into it w/ the pedal.

I'd like to try a newer 2 channel dual/triple Recto to see how it compares to the pre-500.

OK, I am STRONGLY considering selling this amp again. The buyer is flaking out on me and I'm over it. It's a long story but he's basically wasting my time at this point and violated a number of my auction rules. e-mail me if you're interested with a solid offer. If you live in the DFW area I'll cut you a little slack on the price to avoid shipping. Full insurance and shipping through UPS is going to be around $80.00.

Back