83' Mark IIC Info

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racerboy44

Reaction score
I have a chance to get what I think is a IIC serial #101xx.
It is a combo and here are the features.
- Graphic EQ
- Simul-Class
- EV speaker
- Blonde tolex / wheat grill
- 4 6L6's in the power section
- The bass and mid knobs do not pull out and have nothing written above them. The master I believe says pull gain or something like that.
This amp is in very good condition with only 1 small nick in the tolex.
It looks to be all stock except the slave pot on the back has been changed to work as a post effects level which controls overall volume. Not sure but seems it would be easy to change back if I desired to.
Interestingly when I plug into the effects return the lead gain has no effect on the sound. Do you think it has been converted to a "+" model?
There is Mike B.' sig on the back but no "+" above the power cord.
What do you guys think this is worth. It sounds absolutely amazing as the lead sound is the best I have ever heard.
Guitar center wants $950 for it. Do you think that is a fair price? Sorry I don't have any pics of it to show you yet. Thanks for your help.

Racerboy44 said:
I have a chance to get what I think is a IIC serial #101xx.
It is a combo and here are the features.
- Graphic EQ
- Simul-Class
- EV speaker
- Blonde tolex / wheat grill
- 4 6L6's in the power section
- The bass and mid knobs do not pull out and have nothing written above them. The master I believe says pull gain or something like that.
This amp is in very good condition with only 1 small nick in the tolex.
It looks to be all stock except the slave pot on the back has been changed to work as a post effects level which controls overall volume. Not sure but seems it would be easy to change back if I desired to.

Sounds like a MkIIB with the Post Fx Level mod.
Quoted from the Boogie Files:

Post Effects Level: This Mark IIB had the effects loop modification performed by Mike B. at MESA. This modification addresses the problems of effect loop overloading and reverb level inequality between lead and rhythm modes. At the time of the modification, Mike B. marks the unity gain level that is optimized for the amp. It is usually around 8. At this level, the amp will be the same volume as before the mod was perfomred. Thus all front panel controls are pre-effect. The front panel masters can now be considered effect send levels, hence the Post Effects Level ascts as a Master Volume to control the overall volume.

Set-up Info:

1. Set all front panel controls as one would normally do

2. Adjust POST EFFECTS LEVEL for desired volume

3. Connect SEND to input of effect unit(s)

4. Connect RETURN to output of effect unit(s)

5. Set effects controls to normal

6. Effects with level indicator lights should be set for unity gain, then adjust master(s) on amp so loudest playing almost indicates overload.

7. Effects without level lights must be set up by ear. Follow steps 1-5. Upon unplugging the effects return cable at the back of the amp, the volume should NOT increase. IF it does, plug the effect back in and then turn the master(s) down a bit and the POST EFFECT LEVEL up to regain volume and compare once again with the cable pulled out

Racerboy44 said:
What do you guys think this is worth. It sounds absolutely amazing as the lead sound is the best I have ever heard.
Guitar center wants $950 for it. Do you think that is a fair price? Sorry I don't have any pics of it to show you yet. Thanks for your help.

This amp is not/nor ever will be a C+. But I have heard with the Post FX Level mod, can come very close to the C+ tone (Do NOT undo this mod). $950 seems to be a fair price, but since they don't know what they are selling, I would try to talk them down a little. It never hurts to ask. :D

Well the amp does not have the IIB knobs that are silver in the middle so not sure what to make of that. Obviously knobs can be changed out so that doesn't mean much.
When I did the effects return test I made sure the gain knob was pulled and it definetly had no effect at all when I turned it after playing a chord. Anyone else an opinion or insight? What have IIB's and C's been going for lately? This thing looks very clean.
Oh, by the way, this amp also has reverb and presence control on the back. The reverb sounds fantastic!

Wow, thanks Joey B. That info helps out a lot. Yeah, this thing has tone to die for and I will be getting it regardless of what model it is but I wanted to know what the market value of it is so I can get a fair price.

Racerboy44 said:
Well the amp does not have the IIB knobs that are silver in the middle so not sure what to make of that. Obviously knobs can be changed out so that doesn't mean much.

You are so right. Up until about 3 months ago my MkI had MkIII knobs. The old silver top knobs use set screw retention. They are not available anymore from Boogie. But they are from Ebay, if you luck out like I did. BTW, my amp sounded just as "vintage" with the newer knobs :lol: .

Also, shouldn't Mesa carry those IIB knobs now that they have that reissue Mark 1. Don't they use the same knobs?

Racerboy44 said:
Also, shouldn't Mesa carry those IIB knobs now that they have that reissue Mark 1. Don't they use the same knobs?

They look the same, but use a different shaft style for the pots. The old ones had a set screw to fasten the knob to a round shaft. The new ones are made for the pots that have a flat cut on one side of the shaft. Been there, Tried that :( . It does not work.

Latest posts

Back