80's EV 4x12 Ohms Help???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shampoch

Reaction score
Guys - I want to confirm OHMS on a Cabinet I just picked up before running my amp through it. Its a 80's Mesa 4x12 Loaded with EV's. They are 8ohms each and the pics should tell the rest. Meter reads like 6.5ohms on a speaker cable plugged in so I know that it should be 8ohms but not taking chances on my harming my amps. Thanks if you can help!

MesaEVfullback.jpg

MesaEVtopset.jpg

MesaEVbottomset.jpg

MesaEVwirejack.jpg

It's wired in Series-Parallel, so the total impedance would come to 8?. Each speaker is 8?, and each pair is wired in series to make 16?. Those two pairs are then made parallel to each other, halving the impedance, creating 8? total.

>Photi G< said:
It's wired in Series-Parallel, so the total impedance would come to 8?. Each speaker is 8?, and each pair is wired in series to make 16?. Those two pairs are then made parallel to each other, halving the impedance, creating 8? total.[/quo te]
+1 what photi g said. meter readings i find to almost always come in under the specified ratings.

Thanks Guys! 8 ohms it is! Now if I could only find my 1989 Coliseum 300 Mark III Head.

lailer75 said:
>Photi G< said:
It's wired in Series-Parallel, so the total impedance would come to 8?. Each speaker is 8?, and each pair is wired in series to make 16?. Those two pairs are then made parallel to each other, halving the impedance, creating 8? total.
+1 what photi g said. meter readings i find to almost always come in under the specified ratings.

Meters read the DC resistance. The load on the amplifier is different, since it sends an alternating signal, for starters, and you also factor in the resistance of the cable, etc. Really the amplifier will see around 9 or 10? at the speaker tap.

Also, how can't you find a Coliseum head? They're freakin' huge and hard to miss! :lol:

Back