6V6s in a Mark III?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PuppyPatrol

Reaction score
We all know that Mark IVs allow for this switch (only in Tweed or SimulClass mode - also, the 4 ohm speaker tap sounds better with this configuration) but can a SimulClass MarK III also take this tube swap? I'm tempted to try it and like what it does for my Mark IV but I'm curious what it would do to the Mark III I have, which I always liked better than my Mark IV - should I try it or can it cause damage?

How is your Mark IV with the 6V6's? I am tempted with my Mark IV. How loud is it on the lead channel with eq when you get good power tube distortion? Is it a latenight bedroom jammer like this? Or is it still gig level?

I like my Mark IV with 6V6s. I also have a Mark III which I actually like better than the IV with 6L6s and EL-34s so I thought I'd try 6V6s in the mark IV for a different flavor. It's not a bedroom amp in this configuration, it's still plenty loud to gig with. It doesn't have the headroom of the 6L6s anymore but it's got that addictive spongy tone that good 6V6 amps have. At loud volumes the power tubes start to clip of course but as mentioned, it is still giggably loud with 6V6s.

Back