6V6 Powered Mark 1 Reissue Combo-Pre Amp Tube Tweaks

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Gilbo

Reaction score
I've been running a Mark 1 Reissue Combo with JJ 6V6 tubes for a few years now and I love the tone. However, I was wondering if anybody out there using the same configuration has any pre amp tube substitutions or suggestions to improve the tone further.

When I replaced the preamp tubes in my MK I RI, I got a bunch of different ones from NOS to old and used and new. I replaced one at a time until it sounded like I wanted it.

If you want to make some circuit changes I have Gil Ayan's mods that I could e-mail to you. They are changes of cap and resistor values designed to smooth the distortion, improve the reverb and eliminate the low end fartiness. I don't know if they make a huge difference since I modded my amp as soon as I got it, but my amp sure sounds good.

Thanks Pablomago, I'm just interested in pre amp tube tweaks not circuit changes. I'm thinking of trying a 12AT7 in the phase inverter spot to see what that does to the tone. Other than that I'll probably swap various lower gain pre amp tubes and see what happens.

Latest posts

Back