6L6's vs EL34's

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyo

Reaction score
I just swapped out the 6L6's for EL34's and I must say I like the 34's much better. I was always a Marshall guy in the past so maybe my ear is just more accustomed to the mid-grind of the EL34's and, therefore, sounds better to me. To me the highs seem less piercing and the lows less boomy. I'm definitely a convert and consider myself a Mesa guy now (just maybe a el34 convert).

Just curious - are 6l6's generally preferred over EL34's? by folks on this forum?

andyo said:
I just swapped out the 6L6's for EL34's and I must say I like the 34's much better. I was always a Marshall guy in the past so maybe my ear is just more accustomed to the mid-grind of the EL34's and, therefore, sounds better to me. To me the highs seem less piercing and the lows less boomy. I'm definitely a convert and consider myself a Mesa guy now (just maybe a el34 convert).

Just curious - are 6l6's generally preferred over EL34's? by folks on this forum?

There are plenty here who prefer 6L6's and plenty who prefer EL34's. Recently I switched to EL34's and I really love the sound. Through the 6L6's back in yesterday now that I've had time to accurately assess both, the EL34's are going back in. Just sounds smoother to me, really tamed the high frequency response to my liking. Tone is personal, try both and decide for yourself. I will have a nice set of 6L6's as a backup, which isn't a bad problem to have!

I bought some SED's based on how much I love their 6L6's. They are great, but cost a little more than some others. MusicManJP6 on the forum here really loves the JJ's, others have suggested that the stock Mesa EL34's sound good too.

smd24fan said:
JJ's, others have suggested that the stock Mesa EL34's sound good too.

+1 - I ordered the two sets of the Mesa El34's and they sound great.

smd24fan said:
Just sounds smoother to me, really tamed the high frequency response to my liking.

I put some tungsol EL34b's in my MV a week ago and feel the same way as smd24fan. The highs and mids are clearer and smoother over the 6L6's. You do loose a touch of the low end thump the 6L6's offer though. Tubes last forever and it takes 60 sec to swap power tubes back and forth so snag some and you can enjoy both :)

I use JJ E34L and KT77. Works great in my Rivera and Mesas of the past...

The EL34 grind is where it's at (witness Ministry Filth Pig).

I did the 6L6 upgrade to SED Winged C's. It made the MKV better to my ears. I am interested in the EL34's also. So at the end of the day it seems like the EL's take a bit off the top and thin the bottom a tad. Can you just do that with the EQ? Is is a significant voicing change?

For rock/metal, not death metal, what EL's are in the ball park. Keep in mind bring my REC in the mix for extra distortion/grind if needed. The MKV is usually the "good cop" and running a bit cleaner in the mix. The MKV also carries the Dire Straits tone by itself. I have Tung Sols in the preamp. A small stock of stock Mesa 12's, Russian 2's, and Sovteks, to try out with the EL's on hand as well.

Those that favor th EL34's, please share which flavor EL's you use and what preamp tubes play well with them?

I´ve been to lazy to try EL34´s in my Mark V. I have a quad of the Mesa branded Siemens STR450 which I love in my Marshall. Maybe I´ll try them in my Mark V to see what all the fuzz is about ;-)

I just put my JJ EL34L's back in the Mark IV last week. I go back and forth on them. I'll play them for a few months and then I'll put the 6L6's back in.Keeps my amp sounding new.

Thanks for the feedback. I am convinced, and will try a few diff tubes. Seems to be a few good options. That is one of the many things I love about the Marks. They seem to behave well with a variety of tubes. Only bad thing about this weekend is the weather will be nice. The Harley definitely needs a good run thru the mountains. :wink: North Ga. has some decent mountian riding. There is a stretch in a mountian top state park that has a curvy S sign that reads "25 mph next 22 miles". Sweet.....

If I order tubes today, Doug will probably have them sitting on my porch come Monday afternoon.. 8)

andyo said:

maybe you should've set this up as a poll?

eudaimonia02912 said:
mejoshee said:
andyo said:
maybe you should've set this up as a poll?

I did a poll a few weeks ago. It came out to be something like 10:9 in favor of 6L6s.

Then you need to know the amp they had, the flavor tube, new, NOS, guitar played, string gauge, pick thickness, last time laid... goes to pick attack :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am picking up some JJ EL34's tomorrow. The tube guy here at RackCrew in Atlanta is saying they are a little smoother than the Sovteks he has. Will check out the NOS stock for a nice Tung Sol NOS oldie for V1...

Latest posts

Back