6L6's vs El 34's

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cragginshred

Reaction score
Anyone tried some El 34's in this amp? Interesting that mesa opted for 6l6s with a British sounding amp... thoughts out there?

THE Dyne sounds so good with the 6L6’s I cant imagine myself ever wanting to change to 34’s….If I want the 34 sound I’ll use my Marshalls…I like the extra bottom end and less mids of the dyne with the 6L6’s….I would like to hear an (A/B) between the two to see the difference but I did the stock sound of the thing.

Cheers
Bill 8)

Bullseye said:
THE Dyne sounds so good with the 6L6’s I cant imagine myself ever wanting to change to 34’s….If I want the 34 sound I’ll use my Marshalls…I like the extra bottom end and less mids of the dyne with the 6L6’s….I would like to hear an (A/B) between the two to see the difference but I did the stock sound of the thing.

Cheers
Bill 8)
I will have to agree

Touche', but doesn't it seem weird to attempt to copy amp that gets it's tone specifically with EL's using 6L6's??But if it works I will not argue. Also for those out there who have a/b'd the ED with the stiletto, does it seem to be too much low end added? Wether you answer yes or no, where are most folks out there setting their mids and trebles for the ED? It seem on Marcus Daniel/mesa's vid there could have been a pinch more presence dialed in to some of the heavier saturated stuff. The part at the end with Kris Dilibeck will sell many ED's on it's own, very cool double stop type blues stuff. They should have had much more like this on there.

Touche', but doesn't it seem weird to attempt to copy amp that gets it's tone specifically with EL's using 6L6's??But if it works I will not argue.

It for sure is but I think they went with the 6L6’s for a more usable clean…this makes it a better all around amp. Most 34 amps I have played leaves a lot to be desired in the clean department….all depends on the sound you’re looking for.

My settings
Presence = 9:00 o clock
Bass = 3:00 o clock
Mid 10:00 O clock
Treble 3:00 O clock
Volume 4:00 o clock

Bullseye said:
Touche', but doesn't it seem weird to attempt to copy amp that gets it's tone specifically with EL's using 6L6's??But if it works I will not argue.

It for sure is but I think they went with the 6L6’s for a more usable clean…this makes it a better all around amp. Most 34 amps I have played leaves a lot to be desired in the clean department….all depends on the sound you’re looking for.

My settings
Presence = 9:00 o clock
Bass = 3:00 o clock
Mid 10:00 O clock
Treble 3:00 O clock
Volume 4:00 o clock
I kinda thought along the same line. I couldn't believe it the first time I heard the EDs clean channel

I don't know how may times I have heard 'this is the best mesa clean yet', but is that the consensus with the ED??

cragginshred said:
I don't know how may times I have heard 'this is the best mesa clean yet', but is that the consensus with the ED??
Depends if you like it or not.
I do. But there are other amps cleans I like equally.

cragginshred said:
This of course is my opinion. I will have to confess, until I played the ED I was not really a boogie fan. This is the best clean for me.

I'm playing JJ E34L's and it sounds incredible. Vintage Hi does, indeed, sound like a hot-rodded JCM stack, but that's essentially my favorite tone, the "Slash" type of thing, or the higher-gain Donnas tone, but with the gorgeous clean, very responsive tone stack, reverb and FX loop, and the build/reliability quality that Mesa's known for, all in one amp.

UNLEASH THE BEAST :shock: 8)

DSC05665.jpg

Latest posts

Back