6L6's in a Stiletto

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgtbaker

Reaction score
I know the sole purpose of the Stiletto was the EL34 sound and to get away from the Recto sound, but has anyone ever biased their Stiletto for 6L6's and how does it sound?

not sure if that is even possible, but try using KT77 tubes. They will get you really close to a 6l6 without biasing :wink:

kt77 are in the EL34 family of tubes so you wont need to bias it. They are the closest you can get to a 6l6 sound without moding you amp. A lot more bottom end......check out www.eurotubes.com

Well I'll try KT77's first and then maybe I'll call Mesa about biasing for 6L6's. That would be sweet getting a Bassman tone :lol:

sgtbaker said:
Well I'll try KT77's first and then maybe I'll call Mesa about biasing for 6L6's. That would be sweet getting a Bassman tone :lol:

You can't bias it for 6L6's, Mesa's have a fixed, non adjustable bias. THe only way you could get it biased for 6L6's is to have a tech modify it by installing an adjustable bias pot in it, or maybe even a bias switch like the Recto's have...

I was talking to RIch Longacre of Mesa about a year ago. THey made a 6L6 Stiletto for Kirk Hammett.

sgtbaker said:
I know the sole purpose of the Stiletto was the EL34 sound and to get away from the Recto sound, but has anyone ever biased their Stiletto for 6L6's and how does it sound?

If it was possible... I would really like it better than the sound that I had when I had the amp. I had to tweak that amp left and right and couldn't get the exact sound that made me happy.

I am not a fan of the EL34's or the Marshall sound... and prefer Boogie.. traded to a two channel Triple Rec.. happy as a clam. :D

Grendeltone said:
I am not a fan of the EL34's or the Marshall sound... and prefer Boogie.. traded to a two channel Triple Rec.. happy as a clam. :D

Out of curiosity, why did you buy a Stiletto in the first place? Mesa is pretty clear about it being an EL-34 amp aimed at a British/Marshall-y tone.

Latest posts

Back