6L6GCMSTR OR EL34 Tubes? In A Mesa Rectifier Head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LerxstLee said:
Neptical said:
These problems are the same reason why I got rid of my Single Rectifier ( SOLO 50 ). No matter what I did to it in the last 10 years I owned it, it never did sound good.

I agree with many on this--the Rectifiers to me sound quite sterile and bland. That is NOT the tone Boogie is known for--thus is why I switched back to long time friend..the "mark" Series.

My amp sounded so Bad I sold it TEN (10) years later to get one that sounded better. :lol:

Now that might just be one of da bestest quotes I ever didded hearded.

Why couldn't I have kept it 10 years and decided not to get rid of it until now?
Mainly, it was a gift from my folks and I felt bad getting rid of it. That's all.

Grow up man.

KH Guitar Freak said:
I would have to disagree, especially judging the entire Rectifier series based on the Single Rectifier. Granted, the Mark series is great, but it would have to be apples vs. oranges to me...

I've owned the Single, but I've played them all ( Dual and Triple) as well. Its just not the tone for me...but obviously for some folks it is. Your right--it is apples to oranges. I like oranges better though. :wink:

The Winged C pair just makes it brighter. Has more mid range and high end, but they All have a good crunchy tone, I think. It's personal preference.
However, forget KCA. That dude wants $100 down minimum before he sends something out.

I really have never heard anyone complain about a lack of bass with a Recto especially since you are using 6L6's. Do you have a graphic eq? if not get a cheap one and put it in the loop and boost the 100hz slider.

Turumbar82 said:
I really have never heard anyone complain about a lack of bass with a Recto especially since you are using 6L6's. Do you have a graphic eq? if not get a cheap one and put it in the loop and boost the 100hz slider.

What bands do you listen to, character?
Let's get a vibe here.

I listen to lots of bands. The heavy ones are

As I Lay Dying
Killswitch Engage
Meshuggah
Necrophagist
Between the Buried and Me
Blind Guardian
Iced Earth
Dethklok :lol:
Living Sacrifice
Mastadon
Rammstein

stuff like that

Seriously try a graphic EQ in the loop and boost the low frequencies to your liking. The Resonance knob on a 5150 is basically just a low end EQ.

I think you will like what the graphic EQ can do.

GnawingOnRaw said:
Turumbar82 said:

What bands do you listen to, character?
Let's get a vibe here.

A graphic EQ, huh?
What's yours? Are there specific models?

How long can this post go on. If you don't like your mesa and love your Peavey, it would seem a simple decision
to me at this point. It also seems that out of everyones advice the one you chose, the wing c's made it even worse.
So cut the cord and play your peavey. Thats my thoughts. I can't help but think you are loving the input from people
trying to help, yet, you only keep asking the same questions. I wish and hope that is not true, yet if the amp sounds so
bad why did you buy it? Read your posts from page one to the last post.
What has changed, you tried winged Cs, and did not like them. TADs are too much. Yet, they are cheaper then Winged Cs, there are many more than one tube merchant out there that might not make you order a whole $101.00 worth of items.
You can't be in the states because that is not his policy for c.o.n.u.s..
/cheers

GnawingOnRaw said:
The Winged C pair just makes it brighter. Has more mid range and high end, but they All have a good crunchy tone, I think. It's personal preference.
However, forget KCA. That dude wants $100 down minimum before he sends something out.

Brighter than the STR440s, but still being warm. Hard to explain. Also found that it had a touch more clarity and headroom as well...

LerxstLee said:
How long can this post go on. If you don't like your mesa and love your Peavey, it would seem a simple decision
to me at this point. It also seems that out of everyones advice the one you chose, the wing c's made it even worse.
So cut the cord and play your peavey. Thats my thoughts. I can't help but think you are loving the input from people
trying to help, yet, you only keep asking the same questions. I wish and hope that is not true, yet if the amp sounds so
bad why did you buy it? Read your posts from page one to the last post.
What has changed, you tried winged Cs, and did not like them. TADs are too much. Yet, they are cheaper then Winged Cs, there are many more than one tube merchant out there that might not make you order a whole $101.00 worth of items.
You can't be in the states because that is not his policy for c.o.n.u.s..
/cheers

Look, I didn't wanna allegedly say anything but you've been kind of annoying. First you come in with your milk chocolate insight, totally irrelevant to the topic. I mean, it shouldn't matter to you because you gave what you had, and it didn't work. I wouldn't comment anymore. Take it easy, pal!

KH Guitar Freak said:
GnawingOnRaw said:

Brighter than the STR440s, but still being warm. Hard to explain. Also found that it had a touch more clarity and headroom as well...

Are you talking about the same 6l6gc Power Tubes Str440 matched pair?

GnawingOnRaw said:
KH Guitar Freak said:
GnawingOnRaw said:

Are you talking about the same 6l6gc Power Tubes Str440 matched pair?

Oh yeah, the Winged C 6L6s vs. the Mesa STR440 6L6s...

=C= all the way for 6L6Gc's. Never noticed much of a difference with EL34s in a recto. just a worse clean ch.

droptrd said:
=C= all the way for 6L6Gc's. Never noticed much of a difference with EL34s in a recto. just a worse clean ch.

Actually I tend to disagree on this. I think the clean channel with its original 6l6 was perfectly fine.

But you know, no body mentioned anything about the preamps here. I think it'd be helpful if we could share something on that as well; if anyone has done any modifications on the preamps.
Before I do anything major expensive. Thanks guys.

Latest posts

Back