6L6 vs. EL-34 sound

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronlyon

Reaction score
I've read about the qualities of these two power tubes, and I have both sets to try in my Mark IVa head, but I really don't know what to listen for. What is the "British edge" associated with EL-34s? What is the best setting on the Mark IV to showcase the difference?

EL34s have a Marshally sound whereas 6L6s have a more Fenderish sound. EL34 boost the mids at the expense of the punchy bottom and crisp highs of a Fender.

Because Mark IVs will only accept EL34s in the outer sockets, I'd say running in Class A would best isolate the differences between the two tubes, but you should run in both classes to get the full effect. Run in both Pentode and Triode and in full power.

EL34's have a grindy midrange sound to them. I run a set of EL34L JJ's in my mark iv and I'll never go back. Go to eurotubes.com and order a pair from Bob. They're super cheap and he'll give you the tubes with the correct range for the fixed bias. Try the EL34L type. They have about the same low end thump of a 6L6 and your clean headroom is almost the same. To me, the best way to hear the differences is on lead with medium gain.

aaronlyon said:
I've read about the qualities of these two power tubes, and I have both sets to try in my Mark IVa head, but I really don't know what to listen for. What is the "British edge" associated with EL-34s? What is the best setting on the Mark IV to showcase the difference?

Since the EL-34's will only be used in the outer left and right sockets, the Class-A setting will isolate these tubes from the inner pair. If you really want to hear the difference, I would recommend channel 1 or channel 2 with the graphic EQ disabled. The Pentode/Triode will make a noticeable difference, as will the Full/Tweed power option. The more volume that you can achieve will make the differences easily audible. If you are a "metal" player that keeps their 750Hz slider of the graphic EQ bottomed out, disregard everything I said. :roll:

I would use RHY2 on the Mark IV in Class A mode to get the best representation of EL34s in the amp. EL34s really bring out the midrange and upper midrange frequencies and sound great played loud. They will give you more crunch at the sacrifice of high end and low end that the 6L6s have.

As JoeyB said, if you scoop out your midrange then the point of EL34s is probably moot for you.

JOEY B. said:
aaronlyon said:

Since the EL-34's will only be used in the outer left and right sockets, the Class-A setting will isolate these tubes from the inner pair. If you really want to hear the difference, I would recommend channel 1 or channel 2 with the graphic EQ disabled. The Pentode/Triode will make a noticeable difference, as will the Full/Tweed power option. The more volume that you can achieve will make the differences easily audible. If you are a "metal" player that keeps their 750Hz slider of the graphic EQ bottomed out, disregard everything I said. :roll:
Cheer up man, it's Friday! :D Us "metal" players can use the 750 sliders too. I know that Petrucci and Hetfield never ever had any success finding a good tone but we can still try. :cry:

ryjan said:
Cheer up man, it's Friday! :D Us "metal" players can use the 750 sliders too. I know that Petrucci and Hetfield never ever had any success finding a good tone but we can still try. :cry:

My comment was not meant to "bash" the metal players. The EL-34's are all about the sweet midrange tone, and if the EQ is removing it before it gets to the power tubes....... Do you see where I'm going with this? There are definately lots of Metallica and Dream Theater fans on this board, but I am not one of them. My favorite "metal" Mark series Boogie tone is on a live OZZY recording. 8)

Definitely run in Class A...with humbuckers (like a Les Paul)..you'll get that Bluesbreaker Clapton sound. I bought a pair a couple of years back, Seimans. Love them, but the price on them have doubled since I purchased mine.

swbo101 said:
Definitely run in Class A...with humbuckers (like a Les Paul)..you'll get that Bluesbreaker Clapton sound. I bought a pair a couple of years back, Seimans. Love them, but the price on them have doubled since I purchased mine.

Ooooohhhhh man!! You made me remember my MkIII on Class A with the NOS Siemens and my Lester. Yup, just a fabulous sound one does not get anywhere! Also incredible with the R2 channel ...just glorious! It was very tough for me to sell my MkIII because of the Class-A setting was so harmonically rich. Ahhh, memories.

Edward

Latest posts

Back