6L6 or EL34

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6L6 or EL34 ?

• 6L6

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • EL34

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Eric

Reaction score
I just got a 3ch recto and Im thinking about re tubing it. I was wondering how many people were using EL 34s and if you do what type of music do you play. Is there a big difference?

Tone is all subjective...... What I like, you may not like...... and what I like this week, I may not like this week.

I'm on an EL34 kick right now, so my vote would have to go with those.

I prefer the 6L6 in my Mark IV for now but I prefer EL34 in my Marshalls.

Eric said:
I just got a 3ch recto and Im thinking about re tubing it. I was wondering how many people were using EL 34s and if you do what type of music do you play. Is there a big difference?

EL34s with out a doubt for me . I love'em

I'm in a EL34 mood right now with my RectoVerb, but I must admist that my EMG equipped LTD H-400 doesn't sound as good as when I had the 6L6s in.
I find that my lesPaul sounds much better though.
Don't know how long it will take before I want to return to 6L6s.....

EL34s all the way for me! I love that midrange crunch. I however don't care for the JJEL34Ls. They seemed kind of dull and one dimensional to my taste.

I really like the Sovtek EL34Gs.

I like both, and they serve different purposes. My Rivera Quiana Studio w/ 6L6 have two channels, and Ch.1 is voiced for Brit tone. And, when I A/B the Rivera Ch.1 and Mesa Express 5:25 (EL84) the tones were very similar.

But, if I were to choose, then it'd be EL34s. That's why I love the RK II ability to have both!

PS. By the way, RK II pedal needs to have the ability to choose all 3 modes per channel. The new, flagship Marshall JVM pedal allows just that!

Thats funny spot I have a ltd H-400 and a lp. My ltd has duncans in it though

Eric said:
Thats funny spot I have a ltd H-400 and a lp. My ltd has duncans in it though

Whoa, is that a LP Studio faded in brown? 'Cause that would be eerie since mine seems exactly the same.
I'll post a pic later.

6L6...more for the cleans although I'm getting great overdrive tones with the Mesa branded Svetlana's that I put in after those
lame EUROTUBE JJ E-34L's died on me after 1 month.

repeat LAME EUROTUBE JJ E-34L's :x

ON EL34 setting in my roadster, I am running an integrated quad of
EL34 (2) and 6V6 (2) at the moment. These two tubes really complement one another. You just gotta hear it. But no, I have no clips I am too busy jammin, sorry!

Latest posts

Back