'68 Drip edge Super Reverb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axwielding1

Reaction score
Just (last week) ourchased this on ebay. Re-capped(fully) in 2004, Oxford speakers, original everything, blackplate RCA 6L6 and 12AT7's, Mullard GZ34, jjECC83S for the rest. Sound is stunning with strat, sheraton and Les Paul.. I think I'm in love...Loud, dead quiet, nice breakup.. Just what I need for this blues/rock band I'm in...
Over the past few years, I've been thinking of a combo, like a Blue Angel, Lonestar Special, Maverick etc.. Just realyy started jazzing over a SR, and finally went for it..
Couldn't be happier!!!
ax. 8)

Had a '64 SR back in the late 60s. Great sounding amp, I haven't found one as nice sounding since. Funny thing was that some of these BF SRs had early breakup, while mine and some others got really loud and just wouldn't get any louder past about 4.5 or 5 on the volume knob. The output would hit a wall but stay clean. I think matched (or poorly matched) power tubes probably had quite a lot to do with this. Possibly the age of the preamp tubes made some difference as well.

Have fun with your amp. Don't be surprised if new tubes change the breakup characteristics considerably at gig volumes.

cool score axwielding1,

I'm afraid to talk about vintage amps on this Boogie Bulliten Board. I love Boogies when dialed in right, but vintage amps, you can't really get a bad sound out of them if the tubes are running fine.

To me in guitar amplification there is only two type of amps I that interest me:

High gain amps => MESA Boogies (I'm sure I would like Soldano, Bogner, Diezel, Engel and what not but to me, they're all off shoots of Boogie's high gain design)

Vintage amps => whether its Fender, Marshall, Vox, Hiwatt or boutique version of them.

Congratulations! It's REALLY hard to beat a well running
Super Reverb for club blues! It's just that they only do that magical
breakup at basically one volume, LOUD. LOL. They sound sooo good
though. I wish I had one. I can only afford one amp at a time
(ok, technically two, I have a Pro Junior too) and my Boogie covers
any base or volume need convincingly pretty much so I'm keeping it
I guess (had it 11 years now). I would sooo love a nice Super though
and maybe a Bassman too. Aaaargh.

Boogies and Fenders. What more do you need? Right?

100_0338.jpg

000_0010.jpg

Back