5Y3 rectifier tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiger roach

Reaction score
I just spent a few minutes searching for a 5Y3 for my LSS and have found the following:

1. Mesa doesn't sell them (WTF?)
2. Eurotubes doesn't either
3. The places that do have them, they aren't just '5Y3.' They are 5Y3GT, 5Y3GB, etc etc.

Any sage advice, especially on how to deal with item #3? Are the various 5Y3's interchangeable?

TIA

<edit> OK, with a little more research I am finding that some of the rectifier tubes are interchangeable, so maybe one of the others Mesa (and others) sell would work.

Any comments would still be appreciated...

There are several interchangeable versions of the 5Y3 rectifier:

5Y3G (oldest, with large bulb-shaped glass; others are straight-sided), 5Y3GT, 5Y3WGT, 5Y3WGTA, and the over-engineered Bendix 6106 (=5Y3WGT)

KCA-NOS tubes has some great, plain-language information about the differences between common octal (= 8-pin) rectifier tubes, and how you should check the power-tube bias after replacing the rectifier tube. Other octal rectifier choices provide higher B+ voltage to the power tubes, so use caution if you trade up to a 5U4 or 5AR4. Also note that WeberVST makes a non-tube option, called a "copper cap," that is highly regarded.

I would recommend NOS for your rectifier purchase - tube sellers report that they generally last 2-3 times longer than current-production. If you install the super-engineered Bendix 6106, you'll probably never have to change your rectifier again.

- T

Bendix 6106:
6106.jpg

You must be searching for some serious sag! A 5y3 is going to decrease the plate volts in your power section- which you might like. I'd stuff a 5v4 in that puppy for shites and giggles as it will allow the powertube saturation to be a bit tighter and less flubby.

fdesalvo said:
You must be searching for some serious sag!

5Y3 is what the amp comes with, and I was starting off with the assumption that I would need the same thing to replace it.

I will probably still go with one because I was happy with the sound the way it was.

hello, tiger roach

my tubes were still under warrenty when i had your problem. my service guy put a 5Y3 GrooveTube in for free. there's no GT or GB or anything else on the tube. just 5Y3. sounds beautiful :D

rebob

Ha, I never knew. Thanks for the info.

tiger roach said:
fdesalvo said:
You must be searching for some serious sag!

5Y3 is what the amp comes with, and I was starting off with the assumption that I would need the same thing to replace it.

I will probably still go with one because I was happy with the sound the way it was.

I have one on order from Groove Tubes. I think I am going to order an NOS one also, maybe the Bendix TW posted about, and then compare. 8)

Here's an update - I did indeed get the Bendix. It was fine for a few weeks, and then went flakey on me. There would be some static noise, and then the fuse would blow. Similar to behavior I had at first when it turned out I didn't have it all the way firmly shoved into the amp.

Anyway, I put the groove tubes 5Y3 back in and all is well again. I can't really hear any difference between the GT and the NOS Bendix.

tiger roach said:
Here's an update - I did indeed get the Bendix. It was fine for a few weeks, and then went flakey on me. There would be some static noise, and then the fuse would blow. Similar to behavior I had at first when it turned out I didn't have it all the way firmly shoved into the amp.

Anyway, I put the groove tubes 5Y3 back in and all is well again. I can't really hear any difference between the GT and the NOS Bendix.
Holy ****! Sorry to hear about that, Brian, and sorry I'm the one who made the recommendation. Bendix has such a fine reputation - I've never heard of a Bendix failure (seems like the kind of technology one would find surviving post-nuke WWIII). Is it possible the Bendix pins need to be better aligned/bent for a better connection?

Anyway, I didn't mean to steer you in the wrong direction! :(

- T

Timbre Wolf said:
tiger roach said:

Holy ****! Sorry to hear about that, Brian, and sorry I'm the one who made the recommendation. Bendix has such a fine reputation - I've never heard of a Bendix failure (seems like the kind of technology one would find surviving post-nuke WWIII). Is it possible the Bendix pins need to be better aligned/bent for a better connection?

Anyway, I didn't mean to steer you in the wrong direction! :(

- T

Not your fault, man. :D

I figure there is a risk of something like this anytime you get NOS tubes. If I wanted things nice and simple, I would play SS amps.

I monkeyed a bit with the connection - the pins look OK, but it was harder than usual to get it seated initially, as I alluded to in the earlier post. At any rate, I haven't thrown the tube out. The mood to experiment with it again may strike me sometime in the future.

Anyone running these Bendix 6106s mentioned in this post in their LSS? Are these equivalent voltages to the 5Y3GTs that the LSS calls for? Reason I ask is because the stock tube went so I purchased a black plate Slyvania 5Y3 which was suppose to be a late 70s NOS off of ebay for $15.00. Plug it in and I see sparks inside and I flipped the standby as quick as I could. Then nothing totally dead. Luckily it only took out the fuse. Should I just get a MESA rectifier or are these Bendix ones better? Thanks!

Oddly as in the first post I was Just wondering if "mesa doesn't sell themWTF".

Why does mesa sell them?

http://store.mesahollywood.com/750770.html

/cheers

5v4ga is no prob. Not enough increase in voltage to worry about and lots better current capacity than 5y3 type. Warranty would not be valid for that one though. Have used 6106 in my Frank-en-Champ for some time now. Handles 6l6/el34's fine as well as 6v6 in that single ended amp. Nice. Just about any small bottle mil stock vintage 5y3 will hold up in the early LSS units, think that Mesa now has a handle on that thang in the latest ones and knows a mod to the early ones to fix. Or just stick a 5v4ga in it.

I have to suspect Mesa doesnt sell the 5Y3's anymore because they ran out of them.The LSS runs those 5Y3's right on the edge and there is a big problem with them cooking in that amp.So much so that Mesa would give you a free one anytime one of thiers blew,as I said 2 or 3 years ago,the supply would run out.Now heres the thing about Mesa I hate.They knew there is a problem in that amp,they knew they fried the 5Y3's,but since they bought such a huge supply of them if you used anything but thier 5Y3 your warranty would be voided.I suggested to a few people here and elsewhere to use a 5V4,but Mesa told them they couldnt,warranty thing.Some of the better NOS 5Y3's will hold up in that amp,the current productions dont,but a 5V4 is a much safer choice.When you contacted Mesa about the need for a 5Y3 for that amp,did they give you any insight as to what to use?I would be willing to bet they will eventually buy a supply of 5V4's and presto,like magic you will be able to buy them from Mesa and not void your warranty.

The original post said otherwise,thats what I was going on.It looks like they got someone to build them a stronger 5Y3 that may or may not hold up in the LSS,so they can still dictate that you buy from them.I would still rather use a 5V4,it is much more reliable in that amp and if you dont tell them you used it,they wont void your warranty.

Totally agree Stokes. I took the 5y3 out of my '63 ampeg jet and I now use a 5v4 as it is not
directly heated and takes thirty seconds longer before my power tubes get hit with the full voltage.
For the little bit more in voltage it does not rise as fast and far as the 5y3 did. It takes its time
and stops where it should. The lss probably has a standby on it but I liked the 5y3 in the jet.
My favorite practice amp to this day.
/cheers

The problem in the LSS is not the lack of the "slow start up" with the 5Y3,but the fact that the LSS draws almost max current that the 5Y3 is rated for,I forget the numbers offhand,but I think when you switch to class A the current rises beyond the 5Y3 max ratings,if it isnt beyond at idle,it surely gets there when you start cooking.Most of the old stock 5Y3's were conservatively rated,so they will hold up bettter,and of course,they were built better,but when the tube gets old,they will die from the over taxing too,the current production just cant do it right out of the gate.So apparently Mesa has figured a way to keep you buying thier tubes,I wonder who they got to build a heartier 5Y3,and just how much better it really is.

Back